Yellowstone

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
sea-nile

Yellowstone

Post by sea-nile »

We are going to Yellowstone soon for a week. We want to do a lot of hiking. The problem is that I am very afraid of enountering bears! Any suggestions on how to overcome this fear or ways to hike safely. I have heard of the bear spray and making noise etc but I am still afraid. I would probably panic and do something stupid like run.
Also any suggestions of what to see, where to eat, etc would be appreciated.
Part of the trip will be in Jackson in the Grand Tetons.
Thanks so much!
GidgetPicklebrain

Re: Yellowstone

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

There is a wealth of information here:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/bearenc.htm

While I havenotebeento Yellowstone, I have visited quite a few national parks, and have found that if you check with the rangers at the visitors center or back country office they have a good handle on recent bear sightings and acitvity and guide you to areas that reduce your chance of encounter.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

buy 10 large bags of M&M's and keep near that will bring the bears to you :lol:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Just use your head Make noise when you are in thick cover Bear spray will work but you have to have it where you can get it same with a large caliber hand gun.
Both take practice to use I carry both bear spray on the left hip and the gun on the right. The chances of running into a bear that doesn't know what you are on a hiking trip isn't that likely. Don't hike in the same clothes you cook in don't want to smell like bacon. Just remember you don't have to out run the bear you just have to out run the slowest person in your party. LOL and a kick to the knee will slow most people down. LOL.
Tom
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

You are in for a treat. We have stayed at Old Faithful Inn in the past and love it. There are so many trails and so many wonders to see it is hard to choose. Many of the thermogeographic sites have walk ways or paths near them. They are neat to see but not actualy hikes in the woods. You will need to decide if you want to see the sites or walk in the woods. My suggestion is to do both. One thing that we really enjoyed was renting bicycles at Old Faithful.

In the Grand Tetons I would suggest going to Jenny Lake. There is a nice hike around the lake or you can start your hike by taking a boat across the lake and then hiking up the Teatons to get a wonderful view of the valley.