Working out...OMG

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Terry

Working out...OMG

Post by Terry »

Okay, so I retired, as many of you probably know. So I joined a close by gym and hired a personal trainer.

OMG! Does anyone know how hard something as simple as a plank is? And medicine balls? What demon invented them? And why do I have to stand on one foot when raising that medicine ball and why is that so difficult?

I've been to hell and back with this training and with equipment I've never used before.

I was a figure skater and tennis player, but never a planker or a medicine ball raiser!!! Wow, it's a whole new meaning to a work out.

T.
loria

Re: Working out...OMG

Post by loria »

i feel your pain....but it does get easier-- I am working with a trainer because i am training for a climb. I hadn't really done anything for a LONG time (worked full time at a desk job) --trying to put in a few days of cardio (for me that is brisk walking on an incline of between 7 and 15 (usually at about 3.5 speed) and then jog /sprinting 1 to 2 minutes at an incline of 3-4 (or sometimes less if i am toasted) at 5 or so-- 5 minutes walking then 1-2 jog.... two two and half miles is all i can manage so far.. then i hit the eliptical for about a mile or so-- this usually gets me an hour of cardio--i am working with a trainer 3 times per week (i am WAY behind on the fitness i need....:( ) and it is really expensive, but i am doing this for me and soon i will know the routines so i can do them myself....weights planks, ball (the balance one...try that -- fun stuff!) it is painful!!! i am not sure how often you train, but do give your muscles a break but also try to keep it going thru the week if you are truing just one time per week-- so go to the gym and try to put yourself thru the motions as well as you can-- or go to the park -- buy yourself some exercise bands and use those-- resistance bands are AWESOME (and a PAIN IN THE A$$ QUITE LITERALLY!) -- if you want we can check in on each other's progress! I would love to have someone to compare notes with!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hey,
It's a date. You are on!

One of the most frustrating parts of this work out routine is that I'm not losing any weight on the scale. I know muscle weighs more, but it's sort of hard not to see the scale drop much.

Working out is addicting though and I feel better after doing a routine, or cardio.

I am 58 and 25 or more lbs over weight. Doesn't sound like much, but it is!

Keep in touch!
loria

Post by loria »

i fried my self today-- and feel like i should be building more endurance but i am not! (or it doesn't feel like it....) worked treadmill for 1 mile with a 10 incline and wearing a 10 b pack....doesn't sound like much, but i was dying! then walked/jogged another half mile and then 15 minutes on the eliptical (with the backpack) -- then onto my trainer--and my knee is killing me! have you worked at all with the ball? it am finding that fun.
i am 52 and am more in this for getting into shape than losing weight-- though 10 lbs would be a great benefit!
My SIL is a true inspiration-- she lost 140 lbs by working with a trainer and going to the gym regularly (and adjusting her diet to include more veggies and lean meats) -- she is a NAIL now....seriously in great shape--
it doess get addicting though-- doesn't it! good luck and lets keep posting!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>