Just ridiculous!

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
P-600

Just ridiculous!

Post by P-600 »

I went to Hawksnest today and after 20 minutes was told to leave the beach. We talked with many tourists who my heart breaks for. Buck Island on STX remains open I dont understand how they can do this. Even the childrens park across from Mongoose Junction is closed. STOP THE INSANITY!!
Attachments
IMG_20131004_162355.jpg

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Vickie12

Re: Just ridiculous!

Post by Vickie12 »

I thought I read the ban on " parks": had been lifted.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

I read in the Washington Times that park rangers there were instructed to make things as
difficult as possible for people. Here is the link:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -game/[url][/url]
Connie

Post by Connie »

Seriously, what are they going to do if you say no, I'm not leaving. What if you go into the water, you go snorkeling? Give you a citation? Is there a fine?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I know many say "any day on St. John is better than ...", however, I think being there with the best things inaccessible must be draining.

Don and I went to the Grand Canyon last week. I would have been devastated if our trip had been planned during this shutdown and we had to find Plan B. There is no Plan B when talking about our National Parks.

Hang in there Peeps!
janet
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

If you are going to believe an anonymous quote in the Washington Times, I have a bridge you may be interested in :)
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

jayseadee wrote:I know many say "any day on St. John is better than ...", however, I think being there with the best things inaccessible must be draining.

Don and I went to the Grand Canyon last week. I would have been devastated if our trip had been planned during this shutdown and we had to find Plan B. There is no Plan B when talking about our National Parks.

Hang in there Peeps!
Totally agree with you Janet. Travelling for 36 hours just to get there, it will make me really sad if we can't visit the beaches, when we arrive in 4 weeks from today. So much money and time invested. I would maybe escape to the BVI's for a couple of days.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Maybe you don't know that I am from Missouri and it is the "Show Me" state.

I don't necessarily believe everything I read, but I have seen enough to convince me that the administration is making this shutdown as painful as possible hoping to blame it on the Tea Party.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

There is obviously politics being played on both sides - I was just trying to make a little light of the situation!

I love MO - I know the "Show Me State" - definitely one of the greatest state mottos!

I do feel bad for everyone that is being disrupted by this on both sides - but to have your vacation spoiled is obviously not a trivial thing. People should not feel bad about complaining about it. Hang in there everyone -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Today, I was asked to leave Hawksnest and Maho. My advice to anyone visiting is to go to Saloman, Jumbie, Trunk or Cinnamon. The ranger today didn't bother hiking down to any of the beaches but would just replace the plastic tape and barricades at these locations. My friend was at Trunk all day and was left alone and his car was not ticketed.
It was nearly deserted on the North Shore Rd and Cruz Bay was eerily quiet as well this afternoon.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

It's very sad you and many others are having to go thru this, it is truly ridiculous and unceccesary . We are heading down in a few weeks, hope the tea party wingnuts will stop playing games by then and let us get on with our lives.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

Jwwj~ Very civil of you to start throwing around epithets concerning the Tea Party.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers.
Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.
This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").
Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!
Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!
It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO Government TODAY!

I BAD :twisted:
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

jwwj wrote:It's very sad you and many others are having to go thru this, it is truly ridiculous and unceccesary . We are heading down in a few weeks, hope the tea party wingnuts will stop playing games by then and let us get on with our lives.
Games with very serious consequences being played on all sides. The "wing nuts" as you refer to them are simply standing up and reacting to what they see as a clear and present danger to our country.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
jmq

Post by jmq »

Re the origins of the current crisis, quite interesting that it was recently revealed that early this year, some of the usual suspects - the Koch brothers, the Heritage Foundation and others - plotted this strategy in the wake of Republican electoral defeat.

Did they talk about rethinking their positions and policies on healthcare that voters rejected in the Presidential election and that the Supreme Court upheld? No, they insisted that the threat of a shutdown would induce the President to abandon health reform.

It seems rather obtuse to believe that the President could be bullied into giving up on healthcare reform by the losing party and more specifically, that he could be rolled by the hardliners in the House, who, by the way, only represent about 17% of the entire population in their cozy gerrymandered districts.

Another thought: if Obamacare is going to be such a hugely unpopular clusterf*ck, why not just let it roll out and fail miserably, so that you can then relentlessly leverage “We told you so” into unfettered control of all 3 branches of govt? That seems like a much sounder long term political strategy to me.

In the meantime, I put a decent amount of skin in this game Jan 2012 and those healthcare related investments are up 72% since then. Not too bad.

We also sleep better at night knowing that we could get coverage with our pre-existing conditions (cancer). Whatever your political stripes, that's sort of a big deal for a lot of folks that tends to get lost in all this political posturing.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/o ... 97457.html
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide