NYC dinner favs

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
cocosmom

NYC dinner favs

Post by cocosmom »

Heading to NYC for a weekend. Want to try a new restaurant but don't want to go in blind. Mid priced, any location type of food flexible.
loria

Re: NYC dinner favs

Post by loria »

can you tell me what range you are looking in ? and what neighborhood ?

i have always loved dovetail (upper west side , sort of close to the museum of natural history-- it is a bit pricey though-- but it isn't , say, 'daniel' -- anyway, let me now what you ahve in mind and a neighborhood.... there is a LOT here!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I am looking forward to seeing answers to this thread - I am so out of touch with NYC and dying to find some places that are both affordable and decent!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

If I was up there in NYC for dinner and had to pick one restaurant I would certainly go to Picholine -- W.64th between Broadway and CPW.
http://www.picholinenyc.com/index.php
they have 20% off face value on gift cards on the website currently
jmq

Post by jmq »

In midtown/Hell’s Kitchen consider Becco (Italian). Also consider walking the Highline by starting (or ending) in revitalized the Meatpacking District (near 14th St and 9th Ave). Some pretty good restaurants down there including Dos Caminos (Hudson Street ), Fig & Olive, Serafina, and The Standard Grill (and the Biergarten at that location also). Fun to walk through the Chelsea Market in that same vicinity – various food shops and awesome gelato at L'Arte del Gelato.

And was going to mention Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in the Flatiron district but see that it closed 8/31 due to landlord issues. :(
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

So wondering what is considered expensive nowadays...

I basically have been out of the country for about 13 years, 5 in the VI, 8 in Italy. When we used to go out in the city (nineties) we could eat what we thought was a really good meal (not super fancy but say trattoria or bistro meal) for about $100 to $150 with a bottle of wine and dessert.

Now - it seems like you are talking about double that for two with good wine - or if you want a nice restaurant and tasting menu with wine, even $200 a person and up.

What is considered fair/normal/expensive? I am having a hard time getting used to these prices! Should I just expect to spend at least $100 a person if I am dining in NYC?
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There are plenty of price points to find good and interesting restaurants in NYC - my reply was based on " If I was in NYC for one night for dinner" - it is a special treat for an Island Guy to visit the Galactic Playground that is Manhattan and discovering new places to eat is one of the best parts. if I lived closer my thoughts would be much different for sure.
My interpretation of 'expensive' probably varies with locale but in NYC I would peg $100 pp for a nice dinner with good wine, pleasant surroundings, excellent service and really good food as upper mid range and a special night out.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

@loria, $75 dollars a person? Any neighborhood, we are good at getting around. Our go-to used to be Becco but our dinner last summer was terrible. They have put the tables soo close together now I did not feel comfortable talking to my husband about anything personal at all. Not going back. There are so many restaurants but I would at least like to know someone had a good meal there.