Time to start this year's Christmas goodies thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lindy

Time to start this year's Christmas goodies thread

Post by Lindy »

I'm about to start my annual Christmas cookie frenzy and thanks to Minde I realized that I hadn't started up my annual baking thread yet. It doesn't have to be just Christmas cookies....let's open it up to any holiday sweet treat this time. I'll start off by posting a caramel recipe that I've used the last few years when I make chocolate covered caramel pecan cookies. The recipe makes soft, creamy caramel that is to die for no matter how you use it. I've discovered that it's very versatile - I make several batches of the caramel and use it for the caramel pecan cookies, a homemade version of of Girl Scout Samoas, I dip pretzel logs in the hot caramel then roll them in sliced almonds or chopped pecans and drizzled with white or dark chocolate and I've cut it into squares and wrapped in waxed paper with or without pecans added. You could dip them in chocolate or top with a sprinkle of sea salt if you wanted a variety of candies. I have friends who horde them away and refuse to share them with their family....THAT'S how good they are! It takes a little time to make them, but the recipe starts with sweetened condensed mild rather than heavy cream in the traditional caramel recipes so that cuts out a lot of time compared to the old way. This is an easy step by step recipe to boot. http://www.giverslog.com/?p=3168
IMG_3142.JPG
So....what do YOU have to share?
shoemak38

Re: Time to start this year's Christmas goodies thread

Post by shoemak38 »

I'll be the official taste tester. I know it's a sacrifice however if you send me your holiday goodies I will eat them and tell everyone how good they are :lol: :lol:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

I think anyone submitting a recipe should get a trip to the island so that we can all compare the final products. Now, if we could just find a rich benefactor who has a sweet tooth......
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have already made these for Thanksgiving.
http://www.recipegirl.com/2013/10/17/pu ... eadsticks/
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Marybeth, Scale of 1-10 who difficult are these breadsticks. I do not own a stand mixer. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Charlie.
Fran
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

sailorgirl wrote:Marybeth, Scale of 1-10 who difficult are these breadsticks. I do not own a stand mixer. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Charlie.
Fran
hmmm well without a stand mixer you would have to knead yourself I guess. that might take a little elbow grease. I made them a while ago but I recall it being pretty easy. I'm not great with yeast but these came out ok.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thank you for the caramels recipe, Lindy! I'm going to try those! I've been switching up my baking, the last couple of years, removing the cookies that were a drag to make and not eaten up, but were "tradition." I've gotten several of my new favorite recipes from this site.

I've been looking for a lime and coconut cookie, to mix things up. This recipe is the second I've tried, and I like it. I've made two batches, and "taste tested" them every day for about a week, and they've remained yummy! I do use the zest from 1 1/2 limes, and heap the coconut into the measuring cup, but the first batch where I followed the directions exactly was okay too.
Here ya go:
http://willcookforsmiles.com/2013/08/ch ... okies.html

Lindy, if you're on island right now, I hope you're having a fabulous trip!!!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thanks Minde, I don't leave until Thursday and I am SO ready to go!! Those Lime in the Coconut cookies sound right up my alley. I'll have to have a few of those adult beverages next week to do some research and then try baking the cookies when I get back. You'll love the caramel recipe. I use it to dip pretzels, make cookies or mix with pecans for some kick ass candy. Enjoy!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Well the great baking weekend starts as soon as I get off the computer, this morning! Doughs are all thawing in the fridge, and I have two new recipes - the Lime and Coconut cookies, and the caramels. I was hoping to add more, but we're not getting the attention of many bakers this year.
Still I'm looking forward to my three days of peace, love and cookies :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I found something new called maple pecan bites that I am going to try. Also nutella drop cookies.
What I am searching for this year is a dessert for Christmas Day. Feeling uninspired.
BOATSRUS

Post by BOATSRUS »

Mary Beth,

Go online to Southern Living recipes and query February 2009... triple chocolate cookie trifle pie....it's just a QUART of heavy cream, a couple of bars of white and dark chocolate and a couple of boxes of the pepperidge farm cookies... easy to makes just takes a couple of bowls for assembly....very yummy.. and make a great presentation...even the kiddos like it...AND you can add booze to the whipped cream 8)
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Ohhh. I would love that but have many chocolate haters here. I do NOT know how we are related! :) but I am going to look it up anyway :) thanks!
Might try my hand at making tuile cookie bowls for ice cream.