All-inclusive resorts

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
shoemak38

All-inclusive resorts

Post by shoemak38 »

The decision has been made to take the kids to an all-inclusive resort (in lieu of the trip to Paris because parents are going back to St. John) this summer. We have never done an all-inclusive but the kids like the all-inclusive liquor portion of the idea (we are bad parents :oops: ). Like the looks of this place
http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/mexico/p ... index.html
Need to wait to after the youngest turns 18 so we are looking at going in July. I decided to wait until May to book in case our middle daughter has any work conflicts. I think we have settled on Cancun/Mayan Riviera area. So I thought of this group and if they have any preferences / resorts or should I be looking at the Dominican Republic instead?
PA Girl

Re: All-inclusive resorts

Post by PA Girl »

We have done three all inclusive vacations. The first was to Dominican Republic and once was enough. We stayed in the Punta Cana area. The beach was fine, the food was passable but the armed guards and barbed wire fence turned me off. The areas surrounding the resorts are depressing. We wanted to take a walk off the resort one day and the guards said absolutely not, that is wasn’t safe. We got bored by the end of the week and were ready to go home.

We have stayed at the Occidental Grand in Xcaret (no beach) and the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We enjoyed both. Here is a link to my trip report for Xcaret –
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... tP2HXIo7cs

There are lots of things to do along that stretch of Mexico. We really enjoyed Tulum. My mom likes Axumel.

We were on Cozumel over Thanksgiving. We liked it. The resort was smaller and the beach, pool and bar set-up was much better than Xcarat.

My mom and her husband go to Mexico a couple of times a year to either Playa or Cozumel. We rented a car for a day and drove around the island. I loved the Punta Sur national park. We went downtown in Cozumel (my mom and step dad have friends that live there) and it reminded me of the shopping areas of STT times a thousand.

Where we stayed, booze was upper to premium range. Mixed drinks weren’t strong (but do they need to be?), wines were blends from Spain (good enough) and beer was draft only (Dos Ex amber and lager)

The buffets were fine but there were times items ran out and it took a long time to get them replaced. It was extremely hard to get reservations at the sit-down restaurants. My mom has friends that work at the resort so we had it easy but a lot of guests complained about the lack of availability, which was strange since the sit-down restaurants were often half empty.

Tipping made a HUGE difference in service. It isn’t that the service lacked, it’s just that there are a lot of people to be served and a few employees to do it. For example, when we were at the beach the waiters were constantly checking on us because we tipped. A couple of guests commented on how our group seemed to get the best service on the beach. Many were shocked to see us tip the wait staff and made remarks about how tipping wasn't necessary.

For a group vacation, it was fun and we will do it again because my mom and her husband really like the AI concept. It is an easy vacation because everything is right there on the resort.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Thanks for the tips :D
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Went to Jewel dunn river falls Jamaica last year for my girlfriends daughters wedding. It was a smaller resort great food top shelf booze. We had a great time. Leaving friday for Sandals in St Lucia will let you know how this is.
Tom
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We've done two AI vacations with our four kids. Both to Mexico. First one was to Cozumel: http://www.elcozumeleno.com/
The second one was: http://hoteloceancoralturquesa.net/en/index.php

At Coral/Turquesa you MUST upgrade to "Privilage" because without that, you have no chance to getting a seat in the sit down restaurants and there is a special bar that is quite nice for evening cocktails (oh, and breakfast in there each morning, too. BEST meal of the day at this joint.)

There was more to do outside of the resort itself, in Cozumel. The food in these places is just fair. It may be all you can eat but after a couple of days of it you wander around the buffet and come back to your table with very little on your plate.

Tipping is definitely KEY to good service at the pool bars. We'd start each day with a crisp $20.00 for the bartender at the pool we hung out at most ("quiet pool") and he took great care of us. At the end of the trip, we tipped him generously, too.

If you have more specific questions, ask away...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:We've done two AI vacations with our four kids. Both to Mexico. First one was to Cozumel: http://www.elcozumeleno.com/
The second one was: http://hoteloceancoralturquesa.net/en/index.php
both look nice, thanks
mykidsmom

Post by mykidsmom »

We do an aJamaicaery unique experiencep to an AI in Mexico over the week of Thanksgiving. Our favorite area is the stretch between Tulum and Playa Del Carmen. After staying in most of the different major chains we just booked a return visit to the Grand Palladium. Check out their discussion forum - Palladium Addicts.

If your family wants a true adventure check out Costa Rica! We stayed in the Barcelo Tamarindo and spent our days zip lining, white water rafting, taking volcanic mud baths, etc.

Costa Rica is a very unique experience compared to the other destinations you reference.

Mexico vs Jamaica vs Punta Cana etc- I would choose based on price and airfare as I feel the locations are similar if staying at an AI.

Happy Planning!