Super Bowl Party - what are you serving?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jdw

Super Bowl Party - what are you serving?

Post by jdw »

We are having chili and jalapeno cornbread. I would also like to serve a couple of appetizers. Anyone have any good dip recipes?
Terry

Re: Super Bowl Party - what are you serving?

Post by Terry »

May I suggest carrots with dip, orange slices with yogurt dip, and for dessert....orange sherbet, orange juice popsicles, orange pumpkin cookies, anything orange would be good.

Oh, and don't forget to order Papa John's Pizzas too. Also, you still have time to order delicious steaks from "Omaha".

:D
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Susan Reid, editor of our Baking Sheet newsletter and innovator of all things food, took one look at our new electric stuffed pancake maker, and quickly came up with the idea behind this recipe. Why not make mini corn dogs — baked, not fried? Although we've chosen to use sausage for our meat filling, you could easily make these with 1/2" segments of hot dog. Just be sure they're warm before you add them to the batter, since they won't get a chance to heat all the way through before the corn dogs are done.

mini corn dogs

star rating (2) rate this recipe »
QUICK-N-EASY
Hands-on time: 25 mins. to 35 mins.
Baking time: 20 mins. to 30 mins.
Total time: 45 mins. to 60 mins.
Yield: 20 mini corn dogs.
Published: 12/20/2013
ADD TO MY RECIPESPRINTABLE VERSION
ingredients

Volume Ounces Grams
filling
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1/4 cup diced onions
1/2 pound bulk sausage
batter
1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (chives, parsley, sage), optional
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup corn oil or vegetable oil
1 large egg

directions
1) To make the filling: Put a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.

2) Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent.

3) Add the sausage and cook until done. Remove from the heat and drain off any extra fat.

4) To make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in any desired herbs.

5) In another bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, melted butter, oil, and egg.

6) Pour the liquid all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly and gently just until combined.

7) To cook: Grease the wells of your stuffed pancake maker or place an aebelskiver pan over medium-low heat.

8) Scoop a heaping tablespoon-sized portion of batter into each well, and press a heaping teaspoon of the filling into the batter (a tablespoon cookie scoop and teaspoon cookie scoop respectively, work well here). Top with another tablespoon scoop of batter.

9) Cook the dogs for 3 to 5 minutes. Using a chopstick or small wooden spatula, flip them over, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.

10) Transfer the corn dogs to a baking sheet, and pop them into the oven to stay warm while succeeding batches are made.

Yield: 20 mini corn dogs.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

It will be a much tamer Super Bowl party here in Raven Country...not only did we win last year, I spent 10 hours earlier that day in the birthing room helping my daughter and husband bring their baby girl into the world. Then brought first born back to see his baby sister before the 6:30 kickoff. No sleep, grand baby and Super Bowl win is a day I will never forget. This year, I am bringing meatball sliders to a party that no one cares who wins..not as much fun but good time with friends. We don't care who wins just soooo happy the Patriots didn't make it.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

cocosmom wrote:. We don't care who wins just soooo happy the Patriots didn't make it.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

This is a very tasty dip. We leave out the zucchini.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... ecipe.html
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Terry

Post by Terry »

My kid and friend are in flight to NYC for the Big Game! United in Orange!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I had a very yummy dip recently at a party. It was 1 lb sausage, 16 oz cream cheese, 1 can of Rotel. Cook the sausage, drain the fat, then add the other ingredients, stir until heated through and serve warm. Our hostess served it with big fritos. It was quite addicting. When I googled the ingredients to find the recipe, I saw variations that added garlic, chopped jalapenos and cilantro as well.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I saw these on Facebook and thought, "Brilliant!" Mini 7-layer Dip-aritas!

http://www.theyummylife.com/dip-aritas