Questions about traveling with young children

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Questions about traveling with young children

Post by Connie »

We are going to Sanibel with friends in May. Their daughter has a 3 and 4 years old.

Rules have changed since our daughter was that young. Have a few questions.

-do you take car seats with you on the plane? Are they required?
-when renting a car, can you use your own car seats also?
-do the children Need ID to get through security at the airport?

Thanks for any feedback!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
juliebud

Re: Questions about traveling with young children

Post by juliebud »

Hello,
We have 3 children 8,5, and 2 and travel often. You do not need a car seat on the plane unless they are worried about them not staying in the seat. If you do bring one you need to go on and make sure its approved for flying they have a list on airline websites. As far as rental cars you can definitely bring your own, and they do not need an id to get on! We always have their passports but they've never asked to see them in the US, unless of course we were going through customs!! I hope that helps!! At that age it seems it should be a pretty easy trip though!!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Car seats on the plane? Not required, depends on personal preference.

Some kids are more comfortable in their car seats (mine was) and do better with that familiar feeling of being contained like when they are in a car.

If they do take their seats on the plane, make sure the seats are approved by the FAA, not all are. I have seen parents throwing fits when they were not allowed to use their car seats, once was on a trip to STJ where the pilot threatened to kick the family off the plane. FAA approval will be shown on the sticker on the side of the seat.

Booster style seats (I am thinking of the 4yo) that serve to position seat belts are definitely not allowed to be used on the plane.

If they don't take the seats on the plane, they can gate check them for free. See the gate agent for a tag. We had a travel belt positioning booster that folded into a carry-on size case so we just put it in the overhead bin. You will get strong opinions on the safety of gate checking a seat.....

I would take my own seats for the rental car. I would not trust the quality of any seat provided by a rental car company. I would also worry about showing up and having no seats available. Others may have a different comfort level.

No id needed for kids that age but I would take a copy of their birth certificates.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I would take their car seats. Rented once and found mouse dropping under the fabric..thankfully BEFORE we put the child in it. Also you know how to install your own. I bought jeep brand covers on line from Amazon that fit over my Britax car seats for a reasonable price for a recent trip. Had to practice before putting them in the covers so it went smoothly at transitions. The cover had a nice shoulder harness and handle. I actually carried both full size car seats since hubs had hurt his back one daughter was quite pregnant and the other daughter had the 8 month old in a pack. Without the covers it would have been rough and not sure how protected the seats would have been. We weren't willing to drag car seats through security and far gates to gate check them.
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm really surprised about the booster seats not being allowed on the plane.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Probably a personal injury/liability issue since there is no shoulder belts on the plane.

I took my son's booster on as a carry on a couple of times and a number of airline employees got VERY concerned that I intended to use it on the plane. (I wasn't, I didn't want to check it for fear of it getting lost.)