Sanibel Island :)

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Sanibel Island :)

Post by Connie »

Just wanted to say that Sanibel Island is one of the most pristine Islands that we have ever been to. Hadn't been there in awhile, but talked friends and family into it again.

This Island is lush, absolutely no trash, quaint, safe and just beautiful.

I'll write a trip report soon, but if anybody is thinking of an easy US trip to a great place, this is it.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
AquaGirl

Re: Sanibel Island :)

Post by AquaGirl »

We love Sanibel island. We used to travel there at least once a year, but our StJ trips have taken that time slot now. When I visit my parents in Venice Fl, we always go to Sanibel for a day trip. We eat grouper sandwiches at Granma Dots, shop at Periwinkle Plaza (one of the prettiest shopping centers ever), drive around to see the sites, and stop at the campground to visit the rescue birds and duck pond on the way out. I would love to read your trip report :)
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I work on Sanibel Island in Periwinkle Place, and I have to say I agree with everything you guys have said! I haven't been to Grandma Dot's yet, but I'm getting to know all of the good places to eat! I am blessed to be able to cross the Sanibel Causeway every day and, on somedays, see dolphins! Two of the best things about Sanibel are 1. No traffic signals 2. No chain stores allowed (except a few that are "grandfathered in.") I <3 Sanibel Island!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi FloridaGirl, How nice that you work in Periwinkle Place. Its such a lovely spot. One year, we were there in Sept and ate at the Blue Giraffe in that shopping center because Granma Dots was closed. The food was very good, although I don't remember exactly what we ate. We probably had some type of fish sandwiches since that's what we usually get. Our friends who stayed on Sanibel for 6 weeks this winter said the new coffee shop (near the Dairy Queen) is very good.

The Sanibel Historical Village is well worth seeing. They have a number of buildings and artifacts from past years. We had visited Sanibel for years before we heard about this museum. Our friends also said the public library has a really nice display of shells with identifying info.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

The new coffee place near DQ (across the street from the gas station) is called Bennett's Fresh Roast and it's GREAT! I usually only get a small Columbian Bold to go, if I have time to stop on the way to work, but I believe they also do special coffees (lattes, etc.). They make their own donuts and they are amazing! I usually don't eat donuts, but I've made an exception for theirs... they're the size of saucers! And they have some different flavors from the usual... key lime filled, maple/bacon (with bacon on top!), orange crunch, coconut/orange, chocolate chip (with chocolate frosting and big chocolate & white chocolate chips on top!). They also do some simple breakfasts... breakfast sandwiches, cereals, oatmeal, etc. & some lunches & salads, I believe. I think they're a hit with everyone, visitors & locals alike! :)

The next time you're down, stop into Periwinkle Place and hit the Sandcastle Gourmet... it smells like St. John Spice inside and they sell frozen, chocolate dipped key lime pie on a stick!! Decadent and oh so wonderful! :D
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I need to check out more stuff like the Historical Village and the library on my day off one of these days. I JUST found out about the Historical Village a couple of weeks ago and it looks super cool and interesting! I love stuff like that! Thanks for the review! :)