Sanibel Trip Report

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Sanibel Trip Report

Post by Connie »

:D it's hard to describe Sanibel to people. Although we've taken family members many times, unless you have been there, you'll never appreciate the Island unless you experience it.

It had been at least 7 years since we had been there because we got side tracked by our other favorites....the USI's and the BVI's.

Traveling with 9 people isn't always easy. Our best friends, their daughter, husband, 2 children, 3 and 4 and my daughter. The flight was went smoothly, no big deal. The car rentals turned into 4 door trucks. National is the only way to go. you use to have to take a shuttle to the rental agencies. Now you just walk across the street and there you are. Great service, great prices and fast. You know men, the bigger the better :shock:

Where we rented? Same place we always have. 2 condos owned by twin brothers on Old Middle Gulf Drive. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths. Quiet, well maintained properties with just about everything you need for the week. Under the unit parking keeps your vehicle cooler, but since we had these 2 trucks, it was impossible (thanks guys). There are storage units that hold 4 bikes for each units, beach chairs, beach umbrellas, kids toys, etc. The best thing is they have now have large beach wagons. No schlepping everything by hand down to the beach. If anybody is interested in these condos let me know. Would highly recommend.

Sanibel has so much foliage and plants. It's beautiful. Bike paths run through the Island. So, you can get anywhere on the bikes, which is fun. You want to go to the store? Get the bikes out.

Where we ate? First night Island Cow. It was my daughters birthday and she wanted to go there. You have never seen a menu like this. If you want it, they have it. We had a great time and the food was very good.

Lazy Flamingo....yum......we had the clam bake and a Ceasar salad with mosquit grouper.

Cheeburger, cheeburger......busy, so we did take out for 9 people. I have no idea how they got the order right, but they did and it was so good.

Doc Fords. Great food. Nice place.

Timbers. Highly recommend. Very fresh seafood.

We did go over to Captiva one night for Mexican and I can't remember the name but it was mmmmmmmmm. Captiva is another story. Gorgeous Island.

One thing I noticed is every single restaurant catered to the kids. They would bring out something for them to eat and drink as soon as we sat down. That's a good thing. You know kids :shock:

A typical day on Sanibel is breakfast, get your bathing suits on, stop at the pool, go down the beach, fish, swim, shell, people watch, stop back at the pool, have lunch, go back to the beach, the pool and get ready for dinner. There really much night life on Sanibel, but when you have 2 amazing, funny kids with you? That is your entertainment :D

We missed Sanibel. The beauty. The lushness. The biking. The doing what you feel like with no schedule kind of thing. Our friends didn't want to leave which made us feel good. In fact, our male friend, who isn't a big beach fan, surprised us by being on the beach with us every single day. It's the kind of place that calls you back, just like the Islands. It's quaint and small. Nothing over 2 stories tall. Clean,clean, clean. Safe, safe, safe!

We will be back!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Florida Girl

Re: Sanibel Trip Report

Post by Florida Girl »

That's a really nice report! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay on Sanibel! :D
Connie

Re: Sanibel Trip Report

Post by Connie »

Florida, 2 weeks next time for sure.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Florida Girl