A few pictures from Sanibel Island

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Florida Girl

A few pictures from Sanibel Island

Post by Florida Girl »

I went exploring on Sanibel last Monday and took some pictures. Didn't get too far, but had fun anyway. Pictures can be viewed on my Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... aea76a7317
Pat

Re: A few pictures from Sanibel Island

Post by Pat »

Hi again..looking to you for advice since your Key West info was so helpful. Will be in Bonita Springs for 2 months next winter. How long a drive is it to Sanibel and what time should we plan to get there to enjoy some beach time. I will buy a beach pass for my car...not sure what county to get it from. Is the Thomas Edison house worthwhile? No St John this year...trying something new since hubbie retired.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Hi Pat!
It will take you approximately 40 min. to get to Sanibel from Bonita Springs. The toll to cross the causeway is $6.00 one way (no charge to leave the island). I don't know about beach passes, but parking is $2.00/hr. and you pay at the kiosks in each individual parking lot (cash or credit cards accepted) and put the dispensed "ticket" on your dashboard. (They DO patrol, so you can't get away with not paying! ;) ) If there's a beach pass for Sanibel, I'm not aware of it, but it would be Lee County. I'd normally suggest getting to any Sanibel beach by about 10:00 a.m., but being that you're going to be here during winter, that means "on season," which also means that the main road through Sanibel (Periwinkle Way) will be bumper-to-bumper traffic most of the day, beginning about 9:00 a.m. through about 4:00 p.m., so try to hit the beaches by around 8:30 or 9:00.

Lighthouse Beach and Bowman's Beach both have public restrooms, which is nice. Other beaches don't really have facilities, you'll just have to make a warmer spot in the water if you have to pee :oops: . There's a couple of "porta potties" at Turner Beach, just across the Blind Pass bridge on Captiva. None of the beaches have snack bars, but there is a guy who runs a snack boat up and down the shore selling ice cream bars, sodas, etc. from time to time.

As to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates, I have to admit that I was disappointed. You get a nice tour, but you can't go IN the houses. There are plexiglass barriers about waist high at each door and you can only look in. I understand that if hundreds of people tramped through those houses everyday that they wouldn't stay pristine, but I was still disappointed, considering it costs $20.00 per person to go through. The grounds are beautiful, but there are many places just as pretty to spend your time. Put that $40.00 you and your hubby would spend on admission toward a nice lunch on Sanibel. :)

I'm always happy to help you with any information I can. Let me know if you have any other questions! I will be happy to send you some information pamphlets on Sanibel that have maps and mark the public beaches, if you want to PM me your address.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for posting these pictures of one of our fav places. They brought a smile to my face. Great shot of the Osprey - they are a ferocious looking bird. Granma Dots is my parents favorite place to eat for grouper sandwiches. We like to stroll around after lunch looking at the boats and some of the clever names. Keep the pics coming, as you have time to play and explore. I'm not sure when we will get back down there this year.