Snorkeling Cozumel

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Rhonda

Snorkeling Cozumel

Post by Rhonda »

My daughter & grandson will be in Cozumel for one day next week & I was wondering where to tell them to snorkel. Neither has snorkeled before. Just curious, how does the snorkeling compare to St. John?
equineannie

Re: Snorkeling Cozumel

Post by equineannie »

Cozumel is one of the best dive/snorkeling destinations in the world. What makes St John special to snorkelers is that you can see stuff from all beaches. Cozumel may require a boat trip.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Last time I was there ( several years ago) chankanaab park was decent, but I fear they have commercialized it so that it may not be as good.... There was a cavern with silversides and tarpon toward the southern part.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

We visited Cozumel on a cruise stop about '99. We snorkeled at the National Park. It was crowded by StJ standards. The sea life and coral did not impress me. There was a swim with the dolphins pen there and some were paying to do so. Not my cup of tea. We left and drove around the island. Beautiful. Took some great pictures. Stopped in town to shop before reboarding the ship. I followed my wife and daughter into a shop and returned to the street to watch the car, In that short of a period of time (5 minutes) the rental car was broken into, everything we had inside was stolen. Cameras, cruise ship towels, snorkel gear, clothes. I dropped my family at the cruise ship and returned to the police station. The police seemed not to care. Made me feel it was my fault that we were robbed. For insurance purposes I had to insist on a police report. The officer reluctantly complied by pulling a school notebook out of the drawer and made a handwritten report. The notebook that he took the report on was literally a Mickey Mouse notebook.
Sorry, I will not go back to Cozumel.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"