Searching for small coastal towns to visit/retire

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
toni

Re: Searching for small coastal towns to visit/retire

Post by toni »

Thanks so much for that information Puddlejumper. From the previous posts I'd marked down Southport as a definite stop in a coastal vacation trip. We are still a number of years off from retirement, but we are going to start checking places out this next year. We are thinking of visiting Oregon in February or March and the Carolinas in the summer. We want to visit in their "extreme"seasons to see Oregon in the rainy season and the Carolinas in the heat. I like that your area seems to be on an intracoastal area, a little more protected I would imagine? I'll probably be PMing you this next year for suggestions on restaurants! :)
Toni
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

As far as protected area, I guess you are referring to hurricane protection. We are as vulnerable as other coastal communities, maybe an argument can be for being more vulnerable because we 'stick' out in the ocean. Having been raised in eastern NC, I have lived with and through many many canes. You prepare your life, yard, household, etc. for this type of lifestyle. I would not buy or build on the beach or barrier islands unless I was able to absorb a 100% loss from a storm. I live three blocks off the river here, not in a 100 year flood plain means a lot. You can find flood maps of NC online, I suggest you use it. But the lifestyle and area can not be beat.

My favorite restaurant will be mine...once I get it open. If I get it open. Gubment regs are something else!
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Posted by my friend Keith Green who just loves shooting amazing landscapes. Happy Monday from Oakland/Southport NC!

https://www.facebook.com/SouthportOakIs ... nsiderInfo
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

If you want to avoid cold weather, then sure, down south would be your place to start. We love it on outer Cape Cod, especially during the long georgeous fall and quiet winter. It's a little "over-visited" summertimes and holidays, though. A friend just moved to Rockport, MA, on the "other Cape" and loves it. Happy hunting! We relocated here from upstate NY and are very happy with our decision. Friendly people, great seafood, Cape Cod Nat'l Seashore -- it's got it all.
toni

Post by toni »

Hi everyone;
I started this post last summer (seems I like to start thinking a year in advance of places to travel!).

We didn't make it to Oregon in February (that darn Minde asked me to go to STJ with her for a girls get away, and who can refuse an island trip? :lol: )

So we've decided to start our "where to retire" travel planning with the Carolina coast. Figure we should hit it at probably the hottest month to see how "rough" it can get temp/humidity wise. We'll be flying into Charleston in a few weeks, driving south to Beaufort, SC, then going north and checking out Southport, Oak Island and the coastline to get a feel of the area, and heading up to Beaufort, NC, then back to Charleston. Since we're not familiar with this area at all, this would be an initial reconnaissance trip, just to see if we like the lay of the land.

We'll play it by ear on where to stay; from what I'm seeing online places aren't too full then, and if we like a spot we'll stay for a couple days. But I'd really like suggestions on restaurants, things to see/do, anything you'd recommend!

Thank you :)
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Southport has the largest July 4th Festival in the state of NC. Thousands & thousands come for the 4th. Depending on how you look at it, it can be loads of fun, or not. It is a huge event here for this tiny little seacoast town. I recommend looking at the Chamber's website where you would like to visit so you can choose your own interests. If you have any questions, please let me know.