Where to go on west coast of Florida?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jmq

Where to go on west coast of Florida?

Post by jmq »

Good morning
We have not ever been, but may be looking for quick 4 - 5 night getaway this fall or next early spring.

Where to go? Looking for location with a beach that is not packed with high rises, but that also has amenities like beach bars, and in town restaurants and shops that can be walked to - - we don’t mind walking 20+ minutes.

Don’t necessarily need a fancy resort. Flexible on staying in a clean low rise hotel, or VRBO townhouse or condo that is on or within shouting distance of the beach. A pool might be nice, but not essential.

For additional points of comparison, we love the beach towns of Ogunquit Maine and Carlsbad CA.

So, any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
watergirl

Re: Where to go on west coast of Florida?

Post by watergirl »

We stayed on Siesta Key at a VRBO condo several years ago. It's located not far from Sarasota. No high rises. Not too overbuilt. The beaches were lovely. Siesta Key is famous for its powdery white sand. It has a nice "downtown" area with some funky bars and nice restaurants. We also enjoyed going into Sarasota for the Ringling Brothers museum.
Normally I try to avoid Florida even though most of my family lives there. But I would definitely recommend Siesta Key.
We were there over Thanksgiving week and while it was crowded it wasn't packed.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Thanks - will check it out.

Also, guess I should've read Connie's post below on Sannibel...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I second the recommendation for Siesta Key. The beach is really beautiful and plenty of good restaurants in the vicinity. For super fresh seafood, try Walts. There is a wonderful garden, called Marie Selby, that's on a scenic spot overlooking the bay. There are parks and other tourist things in the Sarasota area that you might enjoy, depending upon what you like to do. Check out the Big Cat Habitat if you want to see lions, tigers, a liger (really amazing and huge creature) and other wild animals.

Further south is the town of Venice. My parents live there, so I get down there several times/year. Its quieter than Sarasota and has a lovely main street with shops and restaurants and lined with royal palms. At the end of the main street is Venice Beach. There are low-rise condos across the street from the beach, and I think one or two motels. A fun place to eat is Sharkey's which is right on the beach. We walk out on their fishing pier and get a nice view down the beach. There are parks at the jetties on either side of the inlet. The park on the north side is very nice with picnic facilities. A bit south of Venice Beach is Casperson Beach. People find shark's teeth on this beach sometimes.

We love Sanibel, especially the wildlife refuge and the Sanibel Museum with a historical village of life on the island in years gone by. We enjoy renting bikes and riding around the island. Lots of places to stay right on the beach. Definitely read Connie's post. Our fav little restaurant is Granma Dots at the marina for grouper sandwiches.

Happy trip planning!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

this might be too touristy (there are high rises) for you but we used to enjoy the funky vibe of St. Pete Beach. I have this place marked for future consideration -

http://postcardinn.com/

It has been a couple of years since we visited the area (husband has family there) but I remember fun restaurants and bars in the area.