We need to get away.....where?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

We need to get away.....where?

Post by Connie »

Husband and I have been discussing this for weeks. The conversations usually go like this.

Need some sun.
Where's the good airfare?
What about the Keys?
Sanibel again?
Summer is coming (we have a place at the NJ shore)

Yeah, ok, we're going to Florida. We have been to:

The Keys
Sanibel
Fort Myers
St. Pete's
Fort Lauderdale
Miami
Orlando
Clearwater
Etc.

We like places that don't have any high risers. We like more laid back Florida. Beaching it and good eats.

So the question is.....do we go back to what we love or venture out to something new?

What would you do?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
SpartyOn

Re: We need to get away.....where?

Post by SpartyOn »

Anna Maria Island! Wonderful beaches and great eats. Good Luck!
eala

Post by eala »

I liked Marco Island. It was fun to rent a pontoon for the day and play on the water. Not as snobby or crowded as Naples.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Ella.....isn't there high risers there? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Sparty...we've been thinking about Ann Marie. Want that Island to be even better than Sanibel?
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Have you looked at Venice (on the Gulf Coast). I go there several times/year to visit my parents. Its more of a "regular town" than Sanibel, but it has some nice places. There are lots of things to do (depending upon what you like to do):

- Venice beach is nice - has lifeguards and a snack bar. IMO, the beach isn't as nice as Sanibel, but its still a nice long beach for walking.

- Caspersen beach is known for shark's teeth and we usually see people finding them. There is a park on the bay side of Caspersen that has some hiking trails - saw birds, fish, gopher tortise.

- Eat at Sharkey's restaurant and walk out on the pier for a good view down the beach and see what the anglers are catching. Sunset is often beautiful from here.

- The main street of Venice is a lovely avenue lined with tall palm trees, live oaks and tropical flowering bushes. Nice to stroll along and look in the shops and cafes.

- We like to rent bikes and ride around Venice island neighborhoods or along the bike trail ) used to be a railroad.

- Nokomis beach has a nice park at the Venice jetty that goes from the inland waterway to the Gulf. Lots of bird watching here and we almost always see dolphins.

- Historic Spanish Point is a beautiful property with some interesting old buildings to tour and an ancient Indian mound. Well worth the time to see.

- We like to go up to Sarasota (about 30 min drive) to the Marie Selby Botanical Garden. Beautiful property on Sarasota Bay and lovely tropical plants and trees.

If you decide to go, be sure to post again as there are several forumites who have been to that area and can chime in on places to see/eat/etc.

Happy trip planning!
SpartyOn

Post by SpartyOn »

We are going back to Anna Maria island this November. The beaches are lovely and clean. The town on north end is very quaint and has some unique stores. You can also go off the islan to Sarasota or St. Armen's circle which has some awesome restaurants. Where ever you choose it certainly will be better than this artic blast we are in right now! Heading back to St. John April 1st. It can't get here soon enough:)
Connie

Post by Connie »

Still talking about where to go, but appreciate all this information.
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

My husband and I are looking at either driving down the keys or the southwest part of Florida exploring. Spending time at different beaches. I know the beaches in the keys are few and far between, but we've always heard the drive is magnificent. We wouldn't spend a lot of time in Key West itself. It's a bit too touristy. So from other St. John lovers what would appeal most to you and why??
eala

Post by eala »

I will say that Venice has a great homemade ice cream shop on 41 and an amazing little mom and pop donut shop in a strip mall on the east side on 41. I'm all about the treats if you can't tell!
Don't sweat the small stuff!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

eala - Where are the ice cream shop and donut shop? Or do you remember the names? There are so many businesses along 41. I am going to Venice in March and I may want to avail myself of such treats :)
thanks!
Pat

Post by Pat »

After 15 yearly visits we passed on St. John this year. We are currently renting in Bonita Springs for two months. It's a central location for traveling around Southwest Florida. We recommend Bonita beach Preserve for a nice beach. One hour from Everglades City for an airboat ride, one hour to Sanibel, minutes to Naples, 15 minutes from Ft Myers airport, and 30 minutes to Marco Island.
Having a fun time being snowbirds...the winter in Delaware has been awful.
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

We are very familiar with the Venice area. I have 2 aunts who have lived there since the late '60s. When we visited them we always went to Englewood Beach and Boca Grande.

In 2006 we rented a 3 bedroom house with pool and in 2009 we stayed at Paradise Cove. Paradise Cove is small old Florida style one story waterfront apartments with a dock, but no pool or good swimming beach on the property.

We went to Venice in 2009 for one of our aunt's 100th birthday, since we are her closest living relatives. The nursing home she is living in must be taking excellent care of her because she is still living at 105 years old.
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

We have gone all over the to the Florida panhandle for years anywhere from Ft. Walton to Panama City and have enjoyed them all. Navarre Beach was my favorite where you have the Gulf on one side and the bay on the other. We frequently rent houses from VRBO or other companies and never stay in highrises.

Other than in Navarre, we usually rent a house with a pool and there aren't highrises around us. If you are considering that area and want any further info, message me, and I will give you all that I have.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Cape san blas, Florida is beautiful. Gulf on one side and the bay on the other. Very quiet area. Dog friendly beaches.