ideas for non-messy way to dye and decorate eggs?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AquaGirl

ideas for non-messy way to dye and decorate eggs?

Post by AquaGirl »

This is way off topic from St John travel, but I thought I would post anyway. I'm sure there are "crafty" people with good ideas for kids activities. I would like to dye eggs with my 7yo niece this week. I have fond memories of doing this with my mom when I was young. It seems like a high potential for a big mess (I don't remember any mess from when I was a kid, but I am guessing there was!). Any ideas on how to dye and decorate eggs with minimal mess?
Thanks!
loria

Re: ideas for non-messy way to dye and decorate eggs?

Post by loria »

hmmmmm...boil eggs... get an old nylon stocking and some small pieces of clovers, small leaves, etc... or use elastics and wrap them around the eggs if using leaves/plants... take some onion skins boil them (you can also other things ..... i think some kinds of cabbage work well... red onion skins, etc) -- boil them separately of course (you can look up natural dyes on the internet
get them a bit wet and stick them flat as possible on the eggs... then wrap tightly in a nylon and stick them in your natural dyes for 5-10 minutes (or longer) -- you will get gorgeous eggs....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I saw a cool video recently of dying eggs with old silk ties or scarfs. A google search brought up a bunch of how to sites.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for the ideas! I wimped out on the dye idea and decided to make sugar cookies in the shape of eggs, then decorate them with icing and sprinkles. My niece enjoyed it and the cookies were pretty. We found colored markers in 4 different colors that have edible stuff in them, so you can "draw" on the cookies. Its like a small paintbrush tip and she had fun using them. Fortunately, the color easily came off her hands and the table :)