Marco Island or Naples?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AquaGirl

Marco Island or Naples?

Post by AquaGirl »

Can anyone recommend a place to stay on Marco Island or Naples in Florida? We want to send my parents on a weekend trip to one of these, but we've never been there. They are 80 and have trouble going up/down stairs, so we need some place that has a ground floor unit or an elevator. They used to do a lot of boating and enjoy being on the water, so I would like to find a place on a bay, or the inland waterway. Looking for a 3-4 star place. I know there are many people on the forum who travel to different places, so I thought I would check for recommendations before I go on to forums and Tripadvisor.

Thanks!
shoemak38

Re: Marco Island or Naples?

Post by shoemak38 »

AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for the link to Tracy's blog. I had read one of her trip reports some time ago. She is funny, quite the foodie and I enjoy her pictures too. My parents live near Sarasota, so I will add some of the restaurants she mentions to our list. I think my favorite quote of this while post is
"The Old Salty Dog is a waterfront pub that I chose specifically for one particular menu item: Dog Bites. Dog Bites are beer-battered, deep-fried hot dogs that are just as salty, greasy, and delicious as you might imagine, though not quite as healthy as you might expect."
Deep fried hot dogs - yuck!
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

My mother and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Naples in June 2014. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. I believe all rooms have a view of the ocean and/or the waterway. We had a corner room so had two balconies. Even though it is not right on the water, it does have a tram that takes you to the beach. I believe beach chairs are available for guests and there is a concession stand on the beach. If you book, I would ask for a room that faces west or the ocean so they would have a view of the sunsets.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I thought I would post a follow-up to this. We sent my parents to the Cove Inn in Naples for 3 nights. They love boating and had to give up their boat a few years ago due to their health, so I wanted a place on the water, but not on the beach. I found the Cove Inn while poking around online and its right on water with a marina. My parents could sit on their balcony and see lots of boats and out to the waterway. They enjoyed eating at the restaurant on site, as well as the seafood restaurant next door. They were a very short drive to "downtown" Naples as well. They enjoyed going on a tour boat ride along inland waterway while the captain regaled them with stories of various famous people who live in Naples. There are many gorgeous homes along the waterway. Even though they live a few hours away, they had never explored Naples. Overall it was a great trip for them and we would like to go down there for a few days next time we visit.