September trip to Chesapeake Bay area

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

September trip to Chesapeake Bay area

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We are considering a trip to combine a visit with Pete's mom in Richmond with a long weekend in the Chesapeake Bay area. I am struggling, trying to find what we are looking for. We'd love to take the Chesapeake Bay bridge over and stay on the peninsula but all I find are 2 star motels and RV campgrounds. We don't need fancy but we don't want it to be in a dive, either. We know NOTHING about this area. What's there?

What we are hoping for is a clean, decent hotel with some character (not a bed and breakfast place, though) with maybe a pool or hot tub (who knows, in September), oh, and a balcony would be nice (but not a high rise) and to have access to fun trails for walking/biking and possibly kayaking. If we can find someplace in the Chesapeake Bay area that offers that, we're in and we'll make the "visit mom" thing into a much needed mini vacation.

THANK YOU!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
jaybfloyd

Re: September trip to Chesapeake Bay area

Post by jaybfloyd »

I went here for a wedding a long time ago. Very nice place. I live on the north end of the Chesapeake Bay. http://www.baybeachclub.com
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Trips east are always fun. There's a reason you not finding anything because there is nothing But what you're finding. We've driven down the Delmar numerous times on the way to Virginia Beach outer banks etc. and the last 2 hours before you hit the bridge The family has always complained how boring it is, as all you see are chicken farms (and if you're lucky you're upwind) or fireworks stores. I would stay on Virginia Beach side of the Chesapeake Bay more to do and see. If you want to drive over the bridge. There is a place to stop and eat just before the tunnel. :wink:

However, if you looking for seafood you in the wrong part of the country crab is not King, Maine lobsters are :evil: :evil:

ImageIMG_1660 by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1666 by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
ImageIMG_1677 by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Have you considered Chincoteague Island? Its not an upscale area, but we enjoy spending time there, walking, boating, and bicycling around the island. There are a couple of chain hotels on the bay side, Hampton, Comfort Suites, Fairfield (although they are probably 2-3 star as well). We stayed at the Comfort Suites and enjoyed it - definitely not fancy, but had indoor and outdoor pool, balcony overlooking the water on the bay side, and was clean. You cross a short bridge to get to Assateague Island, which is protected seashore, so there are no amenities. There is a nice wildlife refuge with lots of waterfowl and we always see the ponies. We took a nature oriented tour boat ride and saw the oyster beds, a magnificent bald eagle, lots of ponies and various types of birds. Our favorite thing is to rent bikes and ride around the island. Once you get away from the main road, its quiet with little traffic. There are several seafood restaurants with excellent local seafood - Chincoteague Oysters ("famous" for their unique flavor), flounder, crabs, etc.

St Michaels is a nice, small town on the water and has a very upscale place to stay - Inn at Perry Cabin. It used to be "the place" to stay in that area. We've never stayed there, so you would need to read recent reviews to get a feel for it. St Michaels is a pleasant "typical" Eastern Shore town and has several good restaurants and little shopping. There is a nice maritime museum and lighthouse to visit with nice displays of life on the bay.

There is a Hyatt Regency Resort in Cambridge, MD that is supposed to be a wonderful place. (We haven't stayed there yet.) Lots of amenities, right on the Choptank River.

If you do stay in the Virginia Beach area, instead of on the bay, you can post again for suggestions. Lots of fun stuff (IMHO) to do in that area - Aquarium, Living Museum, historical stuff, excellent airplane museum with WWI, WW2 planes, etc.

Good luck with your trip planning!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Aquagirl, this sounds pretty perfect. The adventure of going up to Chincoteague. Looks like about a 3.5 hour drive from Richmond? I'll look into this as it's pretty much what we want to do...bike, explore, eat. If you want to PM me, please feel free to do so. Or, anyone else who has been in this area, please chime in.

THANK YOU!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Marcia - I typed out a long reply and posted it but it's not showing. Anyway, I will pm you with more info when it get to a real computer.

My step brother lives in Richmond and we have made the trip you are planning a couple of times.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We live in the Washington, DC area, so our route to Chincoteague is across the Bay Bridge in MD (near Annapolis), then then head south to Chincoteague. Looking at the map, it seems it should take 3-3.5 hours from Richmond, but we've never been that way.

In 2013, my parents took the Bay Bridge tunnel (the route you will take) and stopped at the place in the middle of the bridge/tunnel. They said the food was good and the view was great out in the middle of the bay there.

On Chincoteague, we always rent bikes at the place next to the motel called "The Refuge". Its closer to the bridge going over to Assateague so we can ride to the wildlife refuge and around the paved path. We stop at the lighthouse, which is up a slight rise and has a nice display. Be sure to take good bug repellent!! Sometimes bugs are bad. We also like to ride around the neighborhoods on Chincoteague island and just explore.

The tour boat ride on the waterway between Chincoteague and Assateague was nice - saw lots of ponies and birds. It was hard finding a decent boat - finally took one that was a pontoon boat with plastic chairs. The water was calm, so it was fine.

When you go to the beach on Assateague Island, you will need to take a cooler with provisions as there are no services at all. Somewhere at a visitor's center is a very interesting display of how much the island has shifted. Its amazing to see. We visited often in the 80s and there was a bath house, visitor center and paved lot on the beach. That area is now completely under water because the island has shifted so much.

The restaurants we liked the best for seafood were Bill's Seafood and AJs on the Creek. Etta's Channel Side Restaurant was recommended to us, but it was too crowded, so we never ate there. Caveat - our last trip was in 2011, so hopefully these places are still good!

Feel free to post or PM with questions as you plan your trip.

Looking forward to reading PA GIrl's report too.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I suspect my opinion on certain controversial "cultural" symbols got my first reply pulled so I have omitted that section in this revised response -

As I mentioned, my step-brother and sister live in Richmond and we have made a similar trip a couple of times.

the bridge/tunnel is pretty interesting but it does make for a long trip.

Once you hit the other side of the bridge/tunnel, Cape Charles is a place my step sister says it worth a stop. Further up the road is Tangier Island, which is reached by ferry. Its a very small island with an interesting history. We have yet to do either but will in the future.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Chincoteague. Its right on the water and has a feel of a small inn, not a corporate chain. We had a water view room and loved sitting on the balcony to watch the water and birds.

The beaches and shoreline at Assateague are beautiful. The mosquitos can be horrible so it would be good to research that. We have been twice, both in the summer and the mosquitos were so bad (away from the beach) that we couldn't even get out of the car to look at the ponies.

Its a really rural area and the town is basic. We ate at all three of the restaurants Aquagirl mentioned, one each night of our three night stay. I remember them as being good enough but in a town like Chincoteague, that was about as good as it seemed to get.

Its a lovely area for nature things or to camp or rent a house, not so much if one is looking for dining out or a walking vacation (like being in a town and exploring neighborhoods). There is a fair amount of driving required between attractions.

We have acquaintances and employees that go every year but they all rent houses on the water (the inlets) and spend their entire vacation at the house. My SIL had lots of college friends whose families have huge vacation homes in the area. So it does have it's charms but the town itself is not one of them.

St. Michael's and the neighboring communities are really nice, especially if you like being on the water. We went sailing on a working oyster boat one day, captained by a 5th generation oyster man. It was fascinating and a very enjoyable way to learn about the region.

St. Michaels is very historic with a great museum. Lots of seafood restaurants and its a very walkable community.

We stayed at Harbortown right outside of town. It isn't fancy but the rooms and cottages are right on the water. Our rate included breakfast, which made it a pretty good deal. We had a 2nd floor suite with a huge deck and we really enjoyed it.

The Inn at Perry Cabin is beautiful (its been used as a location for a number of movies) and very expensive. Tilgman Island and Oxford remind me to STJ, casual and laid back. There are lots of small inns (not all are B&B style) in that area.

Our son was young the last time we stayed in the St. Michael's area so kayaking and that type of activity wasn't on our radar but I am sure there are plenty of water activities to be found.

The names escape me now but in the harbor area of St Michaels there are a few small hotels with cute decks/balconies that overlook the water. I remember thinking I would want to check those out next time we stay in St. Michaels.

Further up route 50 is Annapolis, which is very historic. I spent a lot of time there years back. It has a colonial feel with cobblestone streets and nice extensive waterfront district.

Have a good trip! I am happy to answer any questions you might have after you start planning.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Thank you, everyone! With all of this information (I love the off topic thread) and some from other friends, I have booked it!

After our time in Richmond with Pete's mom we will head out to Chincoteague for three nights, at the Comfort Inn & Suites. We have a king room with a balcony. This all sounds perfect for us as we can just explore from there. Renting bikes is definitely in the plan as well as going over to Assateague. Restaurant suggestions are in the file.

Thank you all, for your help! We will report back, upon our return. So much fun to explore new places.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I live just north of Annapolis Md. and travel to Richmond to visit my daughter. If you do not go at peak times and head up 301 or 50, you can do the trip in 3 hours. Annapolis is a lovely place to visit. You can also hop over the bridge to the Eastern shore and go to St. Michaels... Hotels and B&B's in both places. Shopping and good restaurants ...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

So, this morning I wrote a long and detailed trip report about our Chincoteague Island vacation. Sadly, I dedicated a couple of hours to it and then did a stupid thing. I clicked on "preview" before posting. I was hoping to read through it and adjust things as needed; I hate posts where I look back and go "crap, I misspelled that." Anyway, the entire thing is lost now because I have just learned you need to "save draft" before hitting "preview."

Oh well. I'm a little annoyed and yet, who cares? Life is too short to get my undies in a bundle about this...I had fun writing the report and it made me relive the trip all over again. If anyone has questions about the trip there, please feel free to message here.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Marcia,

I'm sorry to hear you lost your trip report. Ugh! I was looking forward to hearing about your trip since its been a few years since we've been there, but I completely understand not wanting to re-write it. I will do my reports in Word, then copy and paste them into the forum, just in case...

Most important question - did you and Pete enjoy your trip to Chincoteague?
Sometimes I hesitate to recommend that area because its very low key and can be buggy. Sometimes the food is great, sometimes so-so. I do hope you both had a good time.