Grand Cayman Recommendations for a St. John Lover?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mrscherry2000

Grand Cayman Recommendations for a St. John Lover?

Post by mrscherry2000 »

Our next St. John trip isn't planned until the end of next year. :( But we are going to Grand Cayman in September. We are staying on the East side. As someone who loves St. John, I'm not so sure about this trip. Looking for some shore snorkeling and beaches we can relax at. Any recommendations on where to go and what to do? On St. John, we always stay on Coral Bay side and our favorite beach is Maho, then Francis and then Lameshur. We're not night life type of people.
equineannie

Re: Grand Cayman Recommendations for a St. John Lover?

Post by equineannie »

The East End is somewhat remote, about an hour drive to the 'city' area that has shops, restaurants and the cruise ship terminal. I lived and worked on island for a few months, not many shore snorkeling opportunities as the reef is offshore all along the south shore. I worked for a dive shop called Pirate Divers. Mac is the owner, super nice and runs a great operation: small number of clients at a time and a fast and very safe boat. I suggest you get in touch with them and ask about snorkeling, he will treat you right. Great time to schedule a Discover Scuba as well There are larger shops but they tend to pack their big boats, to the brim.
mrscherry2000

Re: Grand Cayman Recommendations for a St. John Lover?

Post by mrscherry2000 »

Thanks! I am a diver so I plan on doing about three days of diving but I was hoping for some opportunities for my husband who isn't. I'll check with them and see what kind of snorkel trips they have. Thanks!