The Official OT cocktail thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I told nothintolose that I'm inventing a drink. I'll reveal it here on the Cocktail thread, but first I need to go get me a bottle of Cruzan Mango. (that's a hint!) Watch, I'll probably post my concoction and someone will say, "Oh, that's really a [insert drink name here]!" and I'll be all bummed because I thought I invented it! LOL!
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Drinking a Rum and Coconut Water a la Receta that I got out of the book An Embarrassment of Mangoes

2 ounces white rum
4 ounces (approx.) coconut water
1 tablespoon (approx.) sweetened condensed milk (or to taste)
Whole nutmeg

Shake or stir the rum, coconut water, and milk with ice. Taste, and add more milk if you want the drink to be a bit sweeter. Liberally grate nutmeg on top.

Makes 1 drink
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

So?? Is it good? Where'd you end up getting the coconut water?
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Yes, it IS good...trying to figure out what it reminds me of though...maybe milk punch :lol:

I got the coconut water at Whole Foods where I also learned that coconut water is a better replenisher of electrolytes than Gatorade. I can see me drinking coconut water during my soccer games :lol:
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

nothintolose wrote:Drinking a Rum and Coconut Water a la Receta that I got out of the book An Embarrassment of Mangoes

2 ounces white rum
4 ounces (approx.) coconut water
1 tablespoon (approx.) sweetened condensed milk (or to taste)
Whole nutmeg

Shake or stir the rum, coconut water, and milk with ice. Taste, and add more milk if you want the drink to be a bit sweeter. Liberally grate nutmeg on top.

Makes 1 drink
I Love that book! I will definitely try that drink. It sounds good!
Image[/url]
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

gasp this was on page 3! :)

I made these the other night for some folks before going out to dinner. Called Island Queen :) Seeing as it was a belated birthday party for me it seemed appropriate! Pretty, huh? Guavaberry rum and sparkling wine.

And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=554718

Cheers!
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

mbw1024 wrote: And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

Cheers!
MB - I have it brewing too!! How funny is that. Can't wait to try it.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh my gosh that's funny!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

canucknyc wrote:
mbw1024 wrote: And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

Cheers!
MB - I have it brewing too!! How funny is that. Can't wait to try it.
ooooh, that sounds interesting - I've never made anything like that. May need to try it - always looking for a few unique gifts.

thanks for the link!
janet
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

I'm pretty excited - I bought cute bottles at the Container Store, and I'm going to design some tags for them. Liqueur seems like an appropriate gift to come from me. :D
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I have mine brewing in one big container and will pour in to bottles later. Unless I keep it all myself :)
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

MB, you can have chili at my house anytime as long as you bring your rum brew. That sounds delicious! :D
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Very pretty cocktail, Marybeth!

I'm test driving one tonight for a possible Thanksgiving apertif. I have not really figured it out yet. The base is prosecco, and I have some cranberries in the freezer for it. I'm trying to decide what to put in it to offset the tartness of the cranberries.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

liamsaunt wrote:Very pretty cocktail, Marybeth!

I'm test driving one tonight for a possible Thanksgiving apertif. I have not really figured it out yet. The base is prosecco, and I have some cranberries in the freezer for it. I'm trying to decide what to put in it to offset the tartness of the cranberries.
maybe a sugar cube or a little honey or agave nectar? not sure what you are planning so maybe none of those work! LOL
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I love the guava rum! I brought back a small bottle and I am having some mixed with diet Sprite right now! Yum. I hope I can find some here when it is gone, which will be soon!