Latest Forum Posts (all forums):


Travel Specials:


Harbor Cam
Virgin Islands Webcams


Bolongo Bay

The Official OT cocktail thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.

Moderator: The Mgmt.

Postby California Girl » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 pm


I told nothintolose that I'm inventing a drink. I'll reveal it here on the Cocktail thread, but first I need to go get me a bottle of Cruzan Mango. (that's a hint!) Watch, I'll probably post my concoction and someone will say, "Oh, that's really a [insert drink name here]!" and I'll be all bummed because I thought I invented it! LOL!
California Girl
 

Postby nothintolose » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Drinking a Rum and Coconut Water a la Receta that I got out of the book An Embarrassment of Mangoes

2 ounces white rum
4 ounces (approx.) coconut water
1 tablespoon (approx.) sweetened condensed milk (or to taste)
Whole nutmeg

Shake or stir the rum, coconut water, and milk with ice. Taste, and add more milk if you want the drink to be a bit sweeter. Liberally grate nutmeg on top.

Makes 1 drink
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
User avatar
nothintolose
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Postby California Girl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 pm

So?? Is it good? Where'd you end up getting the coconut water?
California Girl
 

Postby nothintolose » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Yes, it IS good...trying to figure out what it reminds me of though...maybe milk punch :lol:

I got the coconut water at Whole Foods where I also learned that coconut water is a better replenisher of electrolytes than Gatorade. I can see me drinking coconut water during my soccer games :lol:
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
User avatar
nothintolose
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Postby Kentuckygirl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 pm

nothintolose wrote:Drinking a Rum and Coconut Water a la Receta that I got out of the book An Embarrassment of Mangoes

2 ounces white rum
4 ounces (approx.) coconut water
1 tablespoon (approx.) sweetened condensed milk (or to taste)
Whole nutmeg

Shake or stir the rum, coconut water, and milk with ice. Taste, and add more milk if you want the drink to be a bit sweeter. Liberally grate nutmeg on top.

Makes 1 drink

I Love that book! I will definitely try that drink. It sounds good!
Image
Kentuckygirl
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Kentucky

Postby mbw1024 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

gasp this was on page 3! :)

I made these the other night for some folks before going out to dinner. Called Island Queen :) Seeing as it was a belated birthday party for me it seemed appropriate! Pretty, huh? Guavaberry rum and sparkling wine.

Image

And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=554718


Cheers!
User avatar
mbw1024
 
Posts: 7355
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: The Garden State

Postby canucknyc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 pm

mbw1024 wrote:And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=554718


Cheers!


MB - I have it brewing too!! How funny is that. Can't wait to try it.
User avatar
canucknyc
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Halifax, NS

Postby mbw1024 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:42 pm

oh my gosh that's funny!
User avatar
mbw1024
 
Posts: 7355
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: The Garden State

Postby jayseadee » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:42 pm

canucknyc wrote:
mbw1024 wrote:And now I have this brewing in my kitchen for the holidays! I used rum though

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip ... _id=554718


Cheers!


MB - I have it brewing too!! How funny is that. Can't wait to try it.


ooooh, that sounds interesting - I've never made anything like that. May need to try it - always looking for a few unique gifts.

thanks for the link!
janet
User avatar
jayseadee
 
Posts: 2313
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: New England

Postby canucknyc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:52 pm

I'm pretty excited - I bought cute bottles at the Container Store, and I'm going to design some tags for them. Liqueur seems like an appropriate gift to come from me. :D
User avatar
canucknyc
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Halifax, NS

Postby mbw1024 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:57 pm

I have mine brewing in one big container and will pour in to bottles later. Unless I keep it all myself :)
User avatar
mbw1024
 
Posts: 7355
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: The Garden State

Postby pjayer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:36 pm

MB, you can have chili at my house anytime as long as you bring your rum brew. That sounds delicious! :D
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
User avatar
pjayer
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am

Postby liamsaunt » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:31 am

Very pretty cocktail, Marybeth!

I'm test driving one tonight for a possible Thanksgiving apertif. I have not really figured it out yet. The base is prosecco, and I have some cranberries in the freezer for it. I'm trying to decide what to put in it to offset the tartness of the cranberries.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
User avatar
liamsaunt
 
Posts: 5966
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:08 pm

Postby mbw1024 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:03 pm

liamsaunt wrote:Very pretty cocktail, Marybeth!

I'm test driving one tonight for a possible Thanksgiving apertif. I have not really figured it out yet. The base is prosecco, and I have some cranberries in the freezer for it. I'm trying to decide what to put in it to offset the tartness of the cranberries.


maybe a sugar cube or a little honey or agave nectar? not sure what you are planning so maybe none of those work! LOL
User avatar
mbw1024
 
Posts: 7355
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: The Garden State

Postby sea-nile » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 pm

I love the guava rum! I brought back a small bottle and I am having some mixed with diet Sprite right now! Yum. I hope I can find some here when it is gone, which will be soon!
User avatar
sea-nile
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:24 pm
Location: Southeast Wisconsin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

cron


VIOL on tumblr
Submit a pic



Advertising | Privacy Policy | © 1995 - 2019 | iBizDaily