STJ History

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Exit Zero

st john history

Post by Exit Zero »

Linne - If you can find the book "Slavernes Oer " by Thorkild Hansen ,Gyldendal Press , tegninger af birte lund.You would enjoy his historical perspective.

Also has some great illustrations in it.
linne

Post by linne »

Hi Exit Zero!

I’m so curious. From where do you know this book written by the Danish writer Thorkild Hansen? The book is a part of a trilogy, and I have all three books. The first is about the time Denmark had a colony in Ghana, how the slaves was caught and treated, the next is about the ships bringing the slaves to VI and the life on board, and the third is the one you mention. They are so interesting and have a lot of information.

Linne
Exit Zero

st j history

Post by Exit Zero »

Linne - over the years quite a few Danish books have ended up on my shelf from the estates of our citizens of Danish ancestry. Have you seen the book Dansk Vestinien by Ernst Mentze?? Or Sukker og Rom by Steffen Linvald which is an edition for the 50th anniversary in 1967?
next time you visit you can help me with some translation problems if you have time.
I will look for the second book you mention.
sherban

Post by sherban »

Here's a link to a digitized "book" on USVI history:
(Linne, this is the large document I couldn't email to you)

http://books.google.pn/books?id=R18_AAA ... ry#PPP2,M1

And here's a link to some other resources I found:

http://www.archives.gov/research/guide- ... s/055.html

Cheers
linne

Post by linne »

Exit zero, yes, I have read the book by Mentze but not the other one. So perhaps I will try to find that too. But what I mostly like to read are stories about people living in VI, it doesn't interest me so much how high their production were etc.. More their way of living and how they managed to survive.

About translation I will like to help you, if I can. But I will not come to STJ in the near future. So if you have some special words or sentences you want to have translated, feel free to PM me.

Sherban, thanks again for the electronic historic papers you send me and now the link. I have read nearly all the stuff and will go to the link later on. Until now it has been very interesting to read.
I didn’t knew that there were people living on STJ, when the Danish occupied the island. I have read that the island was uninhabited at that time. Also it’s interesting to read about the different families who have lived in the estates in Cinnamon, their conflicts about the heir etc.. And I knew that some of the people from Africa were fighting together with the whites during the slave rebellion, but haven’t thought of the theory that perhaps they didn’t see themselves as slaves but as workers.

I can recommend others, who are interested in knowing just a little about the history on STJ, especially Cinnamon, to read the papers.

Linne
sherban

Re:

Post by sherban »

Exit Zero wrote:A book from the peoples view
The Umbilical Cord - Harold W.L.Willocks 1995 I.S.B.N. # 1-891013-01-7
I couldn't find this anywhere but used for ~$125....
:(