STJ History

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for your nice word about my English. :D I’m glad, if my way of writing doesn’t disturb your reading. When I write, I have help from the dictionary and the spelling control. But I am still in doubt about, how many mistakes I make. You Americans are so polite, and I think that you are easier to impress, because so many in USA only speak their own language. But I must say that I feel myself that it doesn't take so long time as before to find the words, which is due to my participating in this forum.

Sherban:
I hope you succeed finding your ancestors one day. Must be interesting. I have never heard the name Scherbaum. You probably know the word ”baum” – a tree. “Scher” I don’t know. Perhaps it’s coming from “scheren” – to cut (my German is now a little poorer than my English).

PA Girl:
I can see that you have the same interest as me, knowing a little about the places you visit.
Luckily hubby also like it – doesn’t investigate himself, but appreciate that I do it.
This story with the slave rebellion is a cruel story – not for night reading. I have never found out
how many persons there totally were killed. Only that many lost their lives. Is it mentioned in the book? When you have finished the reading you should perhaps tell extracts from the story here?

Silverwheel:
I’m so glad that you can see my efforts to write on an educational way. I’m not a real teacher as you, but for many years a part of my work was to educate colleagues in the financial sector and also to write procedures. And I still try to do my best.

But who is Ronnie?

I hope that others will be interested in this topic and perhaps participate with small stories about the historic places at STJ.

Linne
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Linne,

Ronnie is Ronnie Lockhart who is a descendant of one of the oldest and most influential families on STT. He is a sometimes contributor to this forum and has a wealth of information on the past history of STT. He owns the Crystal Palace on STT. A super nice guy, I wish you had been able to meet him while you were there. Maybe next time!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Linne - the book is written in a novel format and focuses on specific families (at this point) which makes for easy reading but tense emotional ownership in the story because of the pending rebellion, which is just about to begin in the book.
sherban

Post by sherban »

I'm reading the book "A Brief History of the Caribbean" now, which is interesting...not great reading but I was looking for facts, not a novel. This book covers the Caribbean from an upper level, marco view...which is pretty "non-romantic". The macro view of Caribbean history seems to be one of conquest and greed (like much history)...

The Spanish set out to find new resources...

The spanish dominate the natives and steal all their gold and silver

Other Europeans try to get in "the game", and or steal the stoled goods from the spaniards

Spanish, English, Dutch, and Danish explore and discover the profitability of Sugar, Tobbacco, and Salt in the Caribbean

Profitability is maximized via use of slaves

The Macro view of this history seems mechanical and brutal to me (based on our current social values & standards), but I think all the romantic and fun history comes from the "micro-view" of Caribbean history...what the people and families did on a day to day basis. The United States seems to have been very disinterested in the Caribbean, in general.

So, has anyone read a good book on the people's view of Caribbean history? I've seen a couple around, not sure which ones might be good reading...suggestions?
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

sherban cool links I'll be on them for some time :D
linne thanks for taking all the time for posting that ya did great :D
linne

Post by linne »

Hi Sherban!

I have a very detailed book about the Danish West India and some of the persons living there, but it's written in Danish by a Danish author, so not any help for you, I presume :D

By the way, I totally agree with your macro view. I can feel ashamed, when I read how terrible the Danish treated the slaves. Also I can tell that in DK, there is not much talk about it. I think, it’s like a “black blot” in the Danish story. But the last year we have seen programs in TV about the time, and just now a new book has been published about people in DK being descendants of slaves without knowing it. So perhaps it will change.

As an excuse I say to myself that we were not the only cruel slave traders. Other counties treated their slaves in the same way. It was a part of the time, not knowing better. Moreover many planters on USVI weren’t Danish. But of course- the law was Danish, so I don’t know if that is an excuse. And when we are coming to the micro view not everybody was so cruel. The Danish governor Peter von Scholten, the one who gave the slaves their freedom, did many good things, for example built schools for the children, including the one in Annaberg.

I still think it’s a fascinating story. In the books I have read, many facets of the human being are revealed. And in one way I admire the people who have the courage to leave DK to an insecure future in a place far, far away.

PA girl!
OK. If you should want to tell a little more about what happened according to the book, it could be interesting to read.

Linne
sherban

"Tales of St. John and the Caribbean", by Gerald S

Post by sherban »

Hello Linne- Yes, your Danish book would be useless to me because I am a hopeless American who can only read about 40 words in Spanish, 10 in French, and maybe 4 in German...ugh! The closest I ever got to Denmark was about 11 years ago I made a trip to Stavanger Norway on a technical work trip...I LOVED IT! I took a day after I had achived my work objectives, to book a round trip ticket on a Ferry and just ride through the Fjiords all day while reading a novel...it was wonderful.

Back to STJ history...I ordered the book- "Tales of St. John and the Caribbean", by Gerald Singer...I'll let Ya'll know what I think after I read some of it.
Cheers-
linne

Post by linne »

Hi Sherban

You wrote:
ordered the book- "Tales of St. John and the Caribbean", by Gerald Singer...I'll let Ya'll know what I think after I read some of it.

I'm curious. Did you like the book?

Linne

NB Could be interesting if some more forum members have something to tell about the USVI history.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Linne, please add my thanks to all of the others for all of the wonderful work you have done translating that piece. Fascinating stuff!

I often wish we had more information about the Tiano Indians on STJ, who are believed to have left the petroglyphs near the pool on the Reef Bay Trail perhaps 1000 years ago or more.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Agent, if you want to know more about the Tainos. I read this book because it was on the shelf at Cinnamon Tarn, you might find it interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Tainos-Decline-Pe ... 888&sr=1-2
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks so much Liamsaunt!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Hello Linne- To be honest I don't really like the book. Nothing against the authors, publisher, etc. but I was hoping for something different. The book is a collection of very informal, short stories which I found to be a bit "tacky" or shallow. But the stories are shorts told by Islanders, so they are genuine in that respect. I will keep looking for preferred reading on this.

Right now I am enjoying "An Embarrasment of Mangoes" by Ann Vanderhoof. Not historical, but rather a modern account of sailing through the Caribbean Islands for ~ 2 years...with recipes included!

I also have a few electronic history papers I would be glad to email to anyone interested who PMs me, one is history of STJ and STT and one is history of Cinnamon Bay.
Cheers-
Lex

Post by Lex »

Here's a link to a short article about ghosts on STJ:

http://homepage.mac.com/stjohnsuntimes/ ... hosts.html
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

A book from the peoples view
The Umbilical Cord - Harold W.L.Willocks 1995 I.S.B.N. # 1-891013-01-7
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for your nice word Agent 99. I can understand your interest for the Tainos.
When we saw the petroglyphs, I wished that I were able to go back in time and experience
their life. So fascinating what they have done out there.

Sherban wrote:
“I also have a few electronic history papers I would be glad to email to anyone interested who PMs me, one is history of STJ and STT and one is history of Cinnamon Bay. “

Sherban, I really would like to see your history papers. I cannot remember seeing any stories about Cinnamon Bay. I will PM you.

Lex, I have read the article. So interesting. Thank you for the link. I can understand if Soedtmann
still haunt. His 12-year-old daughter Helena was slaughtered too. Perhaps I one day will tell some more details about the rebellion in 1733.

Linne