What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I'm reading a couple of books right now.

Then We Came to the End, by Joshua Ferris. I was not sure if I was going to like it or not, but as I read further in I got caught up in it. This one could be a beach read.

Used and Rare: Travels in the Book World, by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone. I'm actually re-reading this one. I collect books so find this kind of stuff interesting, but it would only hold appeal for other book collectors, I think.

And I am STILL, after about two months, trying to finish slogging through Inheritance of Loss, by Kirin Desai. I am ALMOST finished. I feel badly not finshing books, and am determined to get through it, but I am really not enjoying it.

Maryanne, I am with you on Cormac McCarthy. It took me four tries to finish All the Pretty Horses, but I was swept into The Road immediately. I've been loaning it to everyone I know that likes to read, and it's been getting universal praise.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

ok I may have to read The Road. My sister didn't like it but she and I rarely agree on books so I should probably try it :wink:
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I read The Road and liked it! It's dark, that's for sure, but very good.

The author also wrote No Country for Old Men.

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns. Very good!... but maybe not a beach read- not fun- not whimsical. Same author as Kite Runner.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is about women in Afghanistan between, I think, the 1970's and up til post 9/11/2001. Two stories, two woman from childhood to adulthood. Their stories intertwine midway through the book. So many changes in that 30+ years for women in Afghanistan- they should be educated, they shouldn't be educated, they should be accompanied by their men, they shouldn't be allowed to leave the house, they should wear burqua's, they don't have to cover, they should be stoned, they should not speak etc, etc.

Good read.
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Jamestown wrote:The Glass Castle (excellent, excellent, excellent)
Jamestown, just read this at a friend's recommendation. With the exception of the father being an alcoholic and the parents ending up homeless, this WAS my childhood. I second this as a great read, even if your parents were normal. :lol:
augie

Post by augie »

This is an oldie, but Jimmy Buffet's autobiographical "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" is a good read.

Some travel, some JB history, and some Coral Reefer madness...
Come see us!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I am currently reading and loving "Fieldwork" http://www.amazon.com/Fieldwork-Novel-M ... 0374299161

Very interesting and fun read, would be great on STJ reading.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

FlipFlop, welcome back from "The World!" Have you recuperated yet? :P

I just finished reading "The Hiding Place," by Trezza Azzopardi. Well written, but bleak, so bleak. I am now treating myself to something light: "Innocent Traitor" by Alison Weir. Yes, more Tudor novelizations! Next after that I am reading "Oracle Bones: A Journey through Time in China," by Peter Hessler.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

liamsaunt wrote:FlipFlop, welcome back from "The World!" Have you recuperated yet? :P
Barely...we all came down with something either during or immediately after our trip ... it hit each of us about a day apart! MISERY. On the upswing now but for a little while I was convinced I wasn't going to make it!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

flip-flop wrote:
liamsaunt wrote:FlipFlop, welcome back from "The World!" Have you recuperated yet? :P
Barely...we all came down with something either during or immediately after our trip ... it hit each of us about a day apart! MISERY. On the upswing now but for a little while I was convinced I wasn't going to make it!
I come back sick every single time I go to Disney! Sometimes it is just a bad cold, but usually it's bronchitis. Once it was full-blown pneumonia! I swear that I am allergic to Florida. :?
augie

Post by augie »

I live in Florida. May I suggest that it's just Disney that's making you sick?

Just thinking of going there makes me nauseous...

:twisted:
Come see us!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I think you are right Augie. Been to Florida many times, never got sick. I was thinking how do people not get sick when there are that many (esp with kids) packed into a small space. Ick!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am 3/4 into Me and My Beloved Virgin/More Tales of Me and My Beloved Virgin by Guy Benjamin.

It more of a collection of short tidbits than a biography (which is what I was expecting) but very informative.

The difference between current day STJ (from my limited experience) and his life during his younger years is amazing.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I just read Water for Elephants...very good, fast paced, engrossing story. LOVED Rosie!

I am currently reading The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George. Daunting and wordy at around 1000 pages but very, very good so far. I adore ancient egypt! It may be time for me to go to STJ by the time I finish!!!

Also looking at The Autobiography of Henry VIII with notes from his fool Will Somers by the same author and The Six Wives of King Henry the VIII by Alison Weir.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

chrisn wrote:Also looking at The Autobiography of Henry VIII with notes from his fool Will Somers by the same author and The Six Wives of King Henry the VIII by Alison Weir.
I liked both of these very much.

I just finished reading the Double Bind, by Chris Bohjalian. I found it fascinating, but sad. Not really a beach read, I guess.

I'm about to start the Appeal next. John wants to read it on vacation and he takes too long, so I am going to read it first.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:
chrisn wrote:....he takes too long, so I am going to read it first.
Ha! Sounds like me and my mom. I will convince her to let me read her new books first because she takes too long.