What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Has anyone read "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb? I found it going through my parent's house and thought it was worth taking home. It's 900 pages and before I start it, I want to know whether it's worth the effort. Also by Wally Lamb is "She's Come Undone" which I know is good.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
AH

Post by AH »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Has anyone read "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb? I found it going through my parent's house and thought it was worth taking home. It's 900 pages and before I start it, I want to know whether it's worth the effort. Also by Wally Lamb is "She's Come Undone" which I know is good.
Marcia,
I really enjoyed "I Know this Much Is True". Of course I have enjoyed everything I've read by Wally Lamb. Yes it is a rather long novel but it is an easy read so you will no doubt fly right through it.
AH

Post by AH »

"The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder" by Rebecca Well. Rebecca is the author of "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" & "Ya-Yas in Bloom" which I read a few years ago.
AH
NYBB

Post by NYBB »

Hey Marcia. Even though I never post, I follow this thread closely and know we have similar taste in books. You will love I Know This Much is True. Not as great as She's Come Undone, but pretty awesome. (I read it many years ago on the beaches of St. John. Maybe that's why I remember it so fondly? I recall passing it on to my nephew several years later when he was mature enough and it still had the sand in it.)
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

NYBB wrote:Hey Marcia. Even though I never post, I follow this thread closely and know we have similar taste in books. You will love I Know This Much is True. Not as great as She's Come Undone, but pretty awesome. (I read it many years ago on the beaches of St. John. Maybe that's why I remember it so fondly? I recall passing it on to my nephew several years later when he was mature enough and it still had the sand in it.)
I just got a start on it and so far I am enjoying it. It has some sentimental value to me because I believe my mom read it way back when...and, while clearing out my parent's house (dad just passed away and mom passed away less than four months before) I found this book. She was an avid reader before Alzheimer's took over. Gee, aren't I a ray of sunshine? Anyway, this may have been one of the last books she actually read. I like thinking that I'm reading something she held in her hands.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

You know, I said earlier--maybe on facebook instead of here, I can't remember--that I thought "I Know this Much is True" was only OK, but later I realized I had the title of the book wrong! I was actually reading his book "The Time I First Believed," which is based on Columbine as a launching point, and for me was really difficult to get into because of that--so depressing. I put it away until after I got back from St. John and just finished it yesterday. I actually really enjoyed "I Know this Much is True."

I am reading "The Descendants" right now. I have not seen the movie that's based on it, but I want to.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I hated "The Time I First Believed" Too depressing.

I finished The Decendants last night. I liked it and am looking forward to seeing the movie.
lprof

Incredible Virgin Island Adventure

Post by lprof »

Today I received my copy of the new edition of George F. Myrick's book, Incredible Virgin Island Adventure. Flipping through it, I want to sit right down and start reading. I have followed George's blog since he began and a stay at the Sandcastle Hotel on Jost is on my bucket list.

About George Myrick:
George and his wife, Marie, sailed professionally, chartering boats in the Bahamas, then in the Virgin Islands. They then leased an uninhabited island, Little Thatch, in the British Virgin Islands, and turned it into a small hotel. After six years, they left the island and bought a lovely beachfront property on Jost Van Dyke (BVI) where they built Sandcastle Hotel and the original Soggy Dollar Bar.

The blog... http://www.incrediblevirginislandadventure.com/

Oh yeah, along with the book, George sent one of those flints from the shipwrecked Constantine (1785)... pretty cool!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Bump! Help! I am desperate for some new book suggestions! I have nothing loaded right now. Here are my recent reads:

The Flight of Gemma Hardy: Margot Livesey. A reworking of Jane Eyre set in Scotland in the 1950s. Enjoyable, made me want to re-read Jane Eyre (again!).

The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett. I got this recommendation from scrolling back through this thread. Fun read, even though it brought back bad memories of doing poorly on an art history project in college because I forgot to include any buttresses in my cathedral rendering! :shock:

The Snow Child: Eowyn Ivey. Really different, haunting, magical. Very much liked.

Next I am screening The Fault in Our Stars before my nephew reads it (he just turned 13 so I'm not sure if it's going to be too heavy/deep for him), but that's a hard copy book and I need stuff to load on my ipad. Any suggestions?
indianaizzy

Post by indianaizzy »

I have read two books recently that I enjoyed. The first is Mudbound by Hillary Jordan and the second is Defending Jacob by William Landay. They are pretty easy reads but ones that make you think. Hope you find something because if you are like me, you will panic if you have nothing remaining on your Kindle! Best Mother's Day gift ever.
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

I recently finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. It's a true story, and an interesting read. I also enjoyed The Paris Wife, (Paula McLain)and The Invisible Bridge (Julie Orringer)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

KatieH I really enjoyed the Paris Wife too. I'll check out the other books recommended.

I also want to report back that in my opinion The Fault in our Stars is definitely not appropriate for a 13 year old. It was a great book, but I think around 15 would be a better age to read it. Amazon said it was OK for 14+. I guess I'll put it away for a few years.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt wrote:Bump! Help! I am desperate for some new book suggestions! I have nothing loaded right now. Here are my recent reads:

The Flight of Gemma Hardy: Margot Livesey. A reworking of Jane Eyre set in Scotland in the 1950s. Enjoyable, made me want to re-read Jane Eyre (again!).

The Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett. I got this recommendation from scrolling back through this thread. Fun read, even though it brought back bad memories of doing poorly on an art history project in college because I forgot to include any buttresses in my cathedral rendering! :shock:

The Snow Child: Eowyn Ivey. Really different, haunting, magical. Very much liked.

Next I am screening The Fault in Our Stars before my nephew reads it (he just turned 13 so I'm not sure if it's going to be too heavy/deep for him), but that's a hard copy book and I need stuff to load on my ipad. Any suggestions?
Have you read "Love In The Time of Cholera" by Marquez? I am too lazy to go back 10,000 posts before to check but, I just ran into it again on my book shelves and thought of you, and this post.

If you want an easy read, there is the Grisham book I'm in the middle of which is pleasing: "The Litigators"
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi Marcia, yes, I have read Love in the Time of Cholera, a couple of times. Great story. I also read the Litigators when it came out. This is my problem, I read everything!

I ended up downloading two new books: The Expats, by Chris Payonem and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonsen. plus my coworker loaned me The Places in Between, by Rory Stewart. So I am set for another day or two, at least :wink:
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

liamsaunt wrote:Hi Marcia, yes, I have read Love in the Time of Cholera, a couple of times. Great story. I also read the Litigators when it came out. This is my problem, I read everything!

I ended up downloading two new books: The Expats, by Chris Payonem and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonsen. plus my coworker loaned me The Places in Between, by Rory Stewart. So I am set for another day or two, at least :wink:
Please report back on these. I swear, I've read everything, too. Need ideas!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)