What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Just finished Thunder Dog. It is a story of a blind man, his guide dog and being in the towers on 9-11. The story was interesting, but mostly because of the story of this man's life, not just the 9-11 part. Discounted for the Nook on B& N
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

chrisn wrote:My 14 year old son just won a new Kindle Fire in a drawing from his orthodontist's office. Can any of you with young readers recommend some young adult material? Interesting keep his attention type stuff? He's already read Hunger Games trilogy, Harry Potters, Twilight.
Has he tried Rick Riordan? My nephew loves his books. Or how about the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

[quote="AH
So do you care to share the story of that concussion? :?
AH[/quote]

Two words: Gerald's Game. One minute I was reading it in the kitchen, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with my brother staring into my face. I ended up in the ER, I had passed out and fallen backwards, and the first thing that made contact with the tile floor was my head.

I won't go into details but the scene in question involved a woman handcuffed to a bed with a dead person next to her and her efforts to get out of said handcuffs by any means necessary. The level of gore apparently went beyond what I am capable of handling. :roll:
AH

Post by AH »

liamsaunt wrote:[quote="AH
So do you care to share the story of that concussion? :?
AH
Two words: Gerald's Game. One minute I was reading it in the kitchen, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with my brother staring into my face. I ended up in the ER, I had passed out and fallen backwards, and the first thing that made contact with the tile floor was my head.

I won't go into details but the scene in question involved a woman handcuffed to a bed with a dead person next to her and her efforts to get out of said handcuffs by any means necessary. The level of gore apparently went beyond what I am capable of handling. :roll:[/quote]

Thanks for sharing! I read "Gerald's Game" and I know what you're talking about when it comes to the "level of gore".
AH
AH

Post by AH »

It took me almost two weeks but I finished "11-22-63" by Stephen King.
AH
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Did you like it? I thought it was very good.

I just finished 1Q84 last night. Very original.

I have no idea what I want to read next! The only thing left on my ipad is Sarah's Key so I guess I will stop putting it off.
bayer40601

Post by bayer40601 »

Currently reading the Steve Jobs Biography and SEAL Target Geronimo.
How many more days?
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

"Buy, Outfit, and Sail - How to Inexpensively and Safely BUY, OUTFIT, and SAIL a Small Vessel Around the World. " by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

jaq w wrote:"Buy, Outfit, and Sail - How to Inexpensively and Safely BUY, OUTFIT, and SAIL a Small Vessel Around the World. " by Cap'n Fatty Goodlander
Where did you buy it? I remember reading his articles in my grandfather's sailing magazines.

While I have no intention of buying a boat, I like to read about it.
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

PA Girl - same here. Actually I have the best of both- my aunt and uncle bought a boat (not long after my uncle stole my Cap'n Fatty books) and is sailing down to the Caribbean as we speak. He'll be meeting us in Coral Bay the next time we're down there.

You can get Cap'n Fatty books here

http://fattygoodlander.com/
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I needed something short, funny and engaging to read this weekend. A dear friend (frequent poster on this forum, pjayer~Pam) recommended "Are You There Vodka, It's Me, Chelsea" by Chelsea Handler. Highly recommend it for exactly what I described it as.

Her wit is a bit raw but it fit the bill perfectly.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Currently reading "The Invisible Wall", by Harry Bernstein.
I honestly haven't poked around on this here forum thread...not sure why.
It's probably just me... :roll:
I love reading,though.
Hearing the creaky noise of a book opening up is just so romantic to me...,rather than a "kindle",or whatever new device is out there.
Not trying to be judgemental, but those contraptions just aren't my bag.
Smiles-
MJ
AH

Post by AH »

mahojim wrote:Currently reading "The Invisible Wall", by Harry Bernstein.
I honestly haven't poked around on this here forum thread...not sure why.
It's probably just me... :roll:
I love reading,though.
Hearing the creaky noise of a book opening up is just so romantic to me...,rather than a "kindle",or whatever new device is out there.
Not trying to be judgemental, but those contraptions just aren't my bag.
Smiles-
MJ
Welcome to this thread MJ. I share your love for books and didn't think "those new contraptions" were for me either until I got one. Now I have two loves. :lol:
AH
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

MJ

I had the same thought about the e readers until I got one- It's really awesome to be able to search and download a book from the couch :D

I still enjoy reading traditional books as well
AH

Post by AH »

Just finished "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern. While I enjoyed the imagination in this book I didn't care for the story line.
AH