What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
PA Girl

Re: What are you reading?

Post by PA Girl »

I am reading Where'd Go Go Bernadette right now. I like it, some parts have made me laugh out loud.

I might not have the title right but something I read recently that would be a good beach read was A Walk Across France. A 50 something woman gets an urge to walk across France and she wrote about the journey (non-fiction)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Bumping again because I am desperate for books! I just finished my last downloaded book. If I don't get recommends I will have to watch hgtv and then my brain will melt :wink:

Here are my most recent reads: Round House, Louise Erdich. Recommend highly.
Dear Life, Alice Munro. I just love her. She is a treasure in my opinion.
Live by Night, Dennis Lehane. It was OK, a little over the top for me. Especially the end.
One Last Thing Before I Go, Jonathan Tropper. I enjoyed while reading it but it definitely did not stick with me.
Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chobsky. Captures the awkwardness and angst and horror and emotional overload of high school all too accurately. Not a time in my life that I was pleased to be reminded of :wink:

Then I read the Jane Gardham novels that Maryanne recommended, Old Filth and Man with the Wooden Hat. Lovely stories but tons of overlap in the books. I did enjoy them though, each book had new revelations about the same lives.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I read more non-fiction than fiction. Some I really enjoyed recently that have a travel theme -

Peter Allison's second two books. I am going to get the titles wrong but they are something like Don't Look Behind You and Walking with Pumas. I liked his first one (the funniest by far) too. He was a safari guide in Africa and the first two books have a working with tourist slant that is amusing.

Iraq in My Shoes. It is about a woman that goes to Iraq to teach English. It was funny.

Have you read Dearie yet? The Julia Child bio? It is on my waiting list.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

PA Girl wrote:Have you read Dearie yet? The Julia Child bio? It is on my waiting list.
Not yet. I have read some other bios of her though. I especially liked Appetite for Life.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

For foodies and cooks, Michael ruhlmans (sp?) books on chefs , The making of a chef and the soul of a chef are good reads. Also, heat by bill Buford was pretty good.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

beach1 wrote:For foodies and cooks, Michael ruhlmans (sp?) books on chefs , The making of a chef and the soul of a chef are good reads. Also, heat by bill Buford was pretty good.
I agree, those are all excellent books. I read Heat on St. John and left it at the villa because I had no room in my luggage. When we re-rented the house the next year the book was still there so I finally brought it back home with me! :lol:

I am finshing up This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz now, and have Dearie as well as Wild by Cheryl Strayed queued up next.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Read Live By Night also. It was pretty good. Read The Light Between Oceans and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will cue up the novels most recently listed here. I have The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao cued up on my ipad. I'll start there this evening.

Keep the ideas coming!!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:Read The Light Between Oceans and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I really liked that one also.

I went shopping today for paper books to bring to St. John in 10 days and here is what I ended up with so far:

"Me Before You" Jojo Moyes
"Sweet Tooth" Ian McEwan
"Flight Behavior" Barbara Kingsolver

I'll probably pick up one or two more since I read so fast.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's strange...and, I really wish I knew more Spanish. I'm sure I'm missing a lot by not knowing some of the expressions.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I recently read The Alchemist and really liked it. Also recently read Molokai and Honolulu - for those who like historical fiction I would recommend them.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Just finished "light between oceans" and really enjoyed it. Just started Mudbound.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Bump. Blaine is looking for a new thriller author. He's read everything by Harlan Coben and Lee Child and absolutely loved them. Anyone have any favorite thriller/mystery writers to recommend?
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

mindehankins wrote:Bump. Blaine is looking for a new thriller author. He's read everything by Harlan Coben and Lee Child and absolutely loved them. Anyone have any favorite thriller/mystery writers to recommend?
Has he read Dennis Lehane? Love him.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

No, he hasn't! Thank you very much! Will download one of his books and see if he likes it. Any special favorite?
I love that you can find the answer to almost any question on this forum - it's better than google :D
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Solitude of Prime Numbers - Short book but I really enjoyed it
Inferno- The new Dan Brown. I have enjoyed all his others and this one did not disappoint.

Next up is Call me Zelda. Not usually the type of book I read, but Maryanne O'Hara recommended it so I am going to give it a try