Dominica anybody?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Connie

Dominica anybody?

Post by Connie »

Not only have I heard great things about this island, but I also saw something on Good Morning Ameria. There was this guy who has traveled around the world only with help from the viewers. He said that his favorite place was Dominica. Untouch, beautiful, lucious, etc.

Also, the owner of Molly Mallone's lives on Dominica and she said it's gorgeous.

Has anybody been there and does anybody have any suggestions at all?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Eric in NJ

Post by Eric in NJ »

I visited off a cruise ship once. it is a beautiful island mostly rugged with a rain forest. They actually supply many other islands with water. If you need a beach...none there. It's not a beach junkie kind of place almost and I mean almost all shore land is rocky.
Eric in NJ

You never know where you're going till you get there.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Dominica is still on my most want to visit list of islands - but yes - the beaches are not so big and I believe mostly have dark sand. There is probably more here for hikers and naturalists.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
rpplano

Dominica

Post by rpplano »

I believe it is second only to Kauwai in raw natural beauty. Think Jurassic Park. I know a local tour guide who provided us with a fantastic day tour. Contact me if you ever need that info. If you go, don't skip eating an all-natural "Mounds Bar" from Mr. Nice's fruit stand, up in the hills. He grinds cocoa beans and coconut in a coconut shell and makes a Mounds Bar out of the paste. No charge, just tip him if you like it.
augie

Post by augie »

I've onlybeen as a cruise ship passenger - twice, but I do plan to go back for a longer stay.

The first time we did an incredible hike through a rain forest to a waterfall (Middleham Falls) and the second time I scuba'd some pristine, beautiful, and uncrowded (just the DM and myself) reefs!

There are 365 rivers on the island. No white sand beaches, but some beautiful terrain. It is quite undeveloped, but as the word gets out that may change - so hurry!
Come see us!
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We went to Dominica quite a few years ago. It is an incredibly lush, beautiful island and not built up much (at that time). As the others have said, no beaches and no snorkeling that we found. You go for the waterfalls, hiking and nature. We stayed in 2 different places, one was Papillote - it was up in the rain forest and quite a unique place to stay. Other place was on the sea and had a nice outdoor restaurant. We went hiking with guides, which was really good, since there are no nice trail markers and signs like in some of our National parks. One day we hiked into the mountains up to a lake and heard birds (forgot name) that makes a melodic whistling sound that echos through the hills. There is a place called Emerald Pool - you hike down to a "movie scene" idyllic spot with a waterfall cascading down into an emerald colored pool where you can swim. In some spots there are hot springs right next to cool streams, so you can get in and experience hot and cold water at the same time. Also swam into a cave to a partially underground waterfall, which was really cool.
It was a really neat place to visit, but definitely a nature island and not anything like St John. We were glad we went.
nikkiki

Re: Dominica anybody?

Post by nikkiki »

This sounds amazing - has anyone been lately who can update me on what it's like?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I have been there fairly often - always by sailboat - and stayed at least a week a few times - there is excellent diving, a resident whale pod, great hiking , hot springs and pools, plenty of waterfalls, delicious local fruits and foods and the friendliest People. The Carib Indian Settlement is an inspiring craft center.
Two main town Roseau and Portsmouth - the cruise ship dock is in Roseau and there is the Indian River and a great fort in Portsmouth. The island is BIG! Some newer small eco cottage type places to stay are great and the dive resort outside of Roseau is excellent and popular with guests from around the world.
It takes days to explore and you could never see it all.
It is the people who really make the island a true paradise - the cruise ship passengers have affected the welcoming attitude somewhat in town but when people see you a couple days in a week they are so genuine it is always hard for me to sail away - and when I have returned I feel like an old friend.

You would never regret a vacation stay there.

I didn't know Frank from Molly's moved there -- I know he was living in the Dominican Republic before, which is different and is commonly confused with Dominica.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Thank you Exit Zero! I always tell myself there is a big beautiful world out there that I should be exploring (usually right before I click the Buy Now button for my tickets to St John) :oops: Dominica is really tempting me!