Feb 2011 TR STX

Travel discussion for St. Croix
oldbuddy

Feb 2011 TR STX

Post by oldbuddy »

Stayed at The Palms at Pelican Cove and loved it. I felt so comfortable here and around island, too. Every employee goes out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The cook came over and shook our hand, made sure we liked the food. The chambermaids joked with us. The owner and manager introduced themselves. Once we were walking past the front desk and the attendant asked how we were enjoying our day. We were frustrated because we couldn't find a boat going out for a sunset cruise that evening. She explained that it was windy, but The Roseway would still sail and booked us on that. It was a lovely evening. The young crew took great care of us. We met a nice couple who lived on St Croix and said they always wanted to try it out and finally did.
As much as I loved our resort, I might try a hotel right in Christiansted because I think we went to the boardwalk almost every day. We ate at Fort Christian Brew Pub (good beer and good view from second floor) Rumrunners (water comes right up to it and so do the 2 feet long fish) and Angry Nate's (always parked on the street that runs alongside). Had a painkiller in The tiny bar that looks like a lighthouse. Waved at the web cam. Shopped in Purple Papaya which had all kinds of inexpensive souvenirs and a new store, Life in the Left Lane which was right across from it. They had Cruzan Rum Tshirts which I didn't find anywhere else. A little back from the boardwalk, we found Jan Mitchell's store which sold some very inexpensive glass souvenirs like Christmas ornaments and magnets, as well as more elaborate pieces. We took the quick boat ride over to The Hotel on the Cay;it didn't grab my interest.
Spent a morning in Fredericksted. No ships in port so it was quiet. Ate at Polly's and hung there for awhile. People bring their dogs in and I was missing my two dogs. Stopped by Rhythms, a beach bar, on the way out for bottles of water and wound up staying a while. A very friendly guy (he sells hats made of old sails, but wasn't pushy) gave us a lot of good tips. The adjacent beach is great for swimming. We returned the next day and did it all over again. Plus, my husband finally got to go out on a waverunner. I think it was $50 for a half hour. They were new and they let you go quite a way out.
We took a drive out to Point Udall. Took some photos of the monument. That side of the island is more upscale. Stopped at the Yacht Club. We toured the Rum Factory. Loved the sign on the side of the tank -DANGER ALCOHOL. Free drink in their cute tasting room or out on the patio.
Went through the rain forest. Walked out on the dam. My husband was impresssed with it's condition as it's quite old. Stopped in Creque Dam Farm: they were very welcoming. Fed the beer drinking pigs. They were huge. Had a nice Bushwacker there and the food smelled good.
Drove to a hotel on the northwest side to see the Mocko Jumbies. Worth the trip. So funny to see women dancing under them and handing them money.
Have to mention my two favorite reataurants - Galangal, which had a very high end look and delicious food. Also, Savant, which was so romantic.
It just felt like an island I could live on forever.
What others think of you is none of your business.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for the STX trip report - good stuff. I have to check out the restaurants you mention too - they don't ring a bell.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

Great trip report. :D I've wondered about that property myself. Sounds like it was a good choice. Love small family owned properties that know your name! Not many of them left in the Caribbean either. Been toying with STX for years now and it looks like it's going to happen someday. Or I should say some year. Not 2012 though, but its definately on the bucket list!
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!