Traffic on May 1

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
GotToGetAway

Traffic on May 1

Post by GotToGetAway »

Our car rental company told us to expect more traffic on Sunday May 1 due to events going on in Charlotte Amalie. Can anyone give me an idea a idea of how much time to leave to get from Red Hook to the airport. Thanks in advance!
Tickerless :(
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Sunday will be crazy busy through town with the Carnival boat races going on. I would take the north shore route to avoid downtown but if you've never driven it, it's hard to give directions. I can't even guess how much time to tell you if you go through town. I would leave really early and then if you have extra time, stop at Emerald Beach BW or Island Beachcomber for a cocktail before going to the airport :-)
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Don't know anything about the north shore route, but I've got a map. If you give me some landmarks, maybe I'll have a back up plan in case it's horrible.
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

I've been looking at the map and picturing the roads and I'm afraid I would get you totally lost and then you'd spend more time finding your way back then just going through the traffic lol. There are some really crazy roads on STT, it took me awhile to learn them. You wouldnt be able to use it as a backup plan because by the time you realize the traffic is really bad there would be no back tracking to the other route, you wound have to just trudge through. So I would just leave a couple of hours of buffer time and just be patient and go the way you know. What time is your flight?
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Flight' s at 2:30pm, we are trying to figure out which ferry to take from STJ.
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Well, since you should be at the airport by 12:30, I would prob take the 9:30 to leave time for traffic and increased use of the ferry. Then if you get through quick, you can have lunch and a cocktail at Enerald Beach which is on airport road. Enjoy the view before heading to the airport. But I always over estimate time to be on the safe side which always makes me the first person to arrive wherever we're going lol so I may not be the right person to listen to :-). Any other experts out there have any other suggestions? Maybe Exit Zero will reply and say I'm crazy off on the time :-). Good luck tomorrow.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Thank You for that Mrs. Captain Jay, YOU are my favorite off the time frame lady --- IMO --- I personalty doubt there will be any traffic problems along the waterfront because of the races. I do not recommend any Northside route just to avoid the waterfront Unless you are well versed on the roads. It just isn't a noticeable problem on a Sunday.
If You take a STJ -- Charlotte Amalie ferry no worries.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thank you both for your advice. We'll trudge through the harbor and deal with what comes our way instead of being lost on St Thomas. This is the first time we've rented on St Thomas, and although it has it's benefits, switching to the CA ferry is not one of them. Again, thank you both. and i feel strange saying it, but hopefully we make the plane home.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Getaway? How did the traffic and airport work out?