2-nights on STT

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
dbeahan

2-nights on STT

Post by dbeahan »

Seeking small hotel or B&B within walking distance of downtown Charlotte Amalie for a 2-night stay enroute to a week on St. John. Looking for clean, comfortable accomodations at reasonable price - any suggestions?
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Check out any of these -- Hotel 1829 - Crystal Palace - Galleon House - Green Iguana - Villa Santana - Bellavista - Villa Olga.
If you don't have to be within walking distance a nice alternative is Island View.
mkb

Post by mkb »

I've stayed at Hotel 1829 two times. It is a little rustic and not for everyone, but fit my needs. I needed someplace affordable, safe and clean on my way to or from St John.

The people there were very nice both times.

There are a lot of stairs. Stairs going up to the front door and stairs going to the rooms once you get inside.

The view from the front veranda is very nice and they serve muffins and juice out there in the mornings.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Have stayed at Hotel 1829, Green Iguana and Crystal Palace. Each is unique in its own way.

At Hotel 1829, rooms are very small to decently sized with a balcony. Haven't stayed there in a decade, so don't know what it's like now. It's probably about the same (?) - rustic, many sets of stairs, continental breakfast on the veranda, etc. Our stay was fine although we have been staying at other places since.

Crystal Palace is especially unique and very reasonable. Ronnie will pick you up/drop you off at the airport, which is great.

Green Iguana is located higher up than the other two and walking up from the waterfront is a bit of a climb. You can take a taxi if you wish. Haven't stayed there in a few years but if the conditions are the same, it's a nice and clean place to stay. They seem to charge a $20 fee for less than 3 nights of stay... they didn't in the past.

Have never stayed here but have been interested in (costs a bit more):
http://www.athomeinthetropics.com/
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed at the Green Iguana on our way to STJ last July. It was very clean and the managers were very friendly and helpful. It is a small motel that has the feeling that is was cobbled together over the years. (our room had a step up to the sitting area as well as the bathroom)

We picked it for the location and I will share two things - the walk back up will be steep but scenic (we did it during the day) and the managers told us to not walk back home at night, to take a cab, no exceptions. I mention this because location was a factor in my decision and was a bit sorry to not be able to avoid cabs. Not a huge deal, but it took me by surprise.