BW Emerald Beach Resort vs. Marfolie Hotel

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
dbeahan

BW Emerald Beach Resort vs. Marfolie Hotel

Post by dbeahan »

Will be making our 3rd trip to St. John next spring and have a villa rented for one week. Will be arriving in STT 3-days prior to villa check-in and considering these 2 hotels based on price, location, beach access (Marfolie has a shuttle to Magen's Bay),etc. Any recommendations from those who have stayed at both? Trip Advisor reviews I've read are mixed for both properties.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Emerald allows you to be on the beach from wake-up to a moonlite stroll - a nice pool and an active beach bar - a short ride to Frenchtown for dinner or Charlotte Amalie for some shopping by day. Generally nice clean modest hotel rooms and Beachfront views and accessibility.
Mafolie Hotel rooms vary - some are excellent and some much less - the pool and view from there is top of the line - you can taxi to town easily - may experience town noise and traffic sounds depending on the room siting - going to Magens for the day is pleasant.
If I had to choose - and it was vacation! - Emerald Beach hands down - beachfront and except for the cruise ship visitors some days - pretty quiet - I enjoy the view and peaceful pool at Mafolie and except for the outdated variability of the rooms would choose it for a night [or 2].
Both venues have onsite unmemorable restaurant food - so really if the price is comparable and you have a rental car - which you will need for a villa rental I am sure - beach front access wins - where is the villa? If you have a town view from there you don't really need the Mafolie view experience.
dbeahan

Post by dbeahan »

Thanks for the information - our villa is actually on St. John, so I wasn't planning on getting a rental car until we get there.