The characters we met tour Part 2

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
STTlover

The characters we met tour Part 2

Post by STTlover »

Tuesday May 31st , Day 3:
Woke up to sunny skies and birds chirping.
We decided today we would just hang around Sapphire because that evening we would be going over to STJ for dinner. My favorite place to hang is at the pool at Sapphire. You get great breezes from the point and views of STJ and the BVI.

Also, there was a cruise ship in today and that meant the beach would be littered w/ cruisers. We spent the morning reading, swimming and enjoying the sun. Earlier that morning I made the comment that we may see a wedding on the point at some time in the trip as we always have had a wedding happen in our stays. Sure enough at 11 am we see a bride make her way down the point to meet her groom. A true elopement, only her, the groom, photographer, and the officiate. We all clapped and whistled as the came back down the point as man and wife. I made hot dogs and pasta salad for lunch that we ate by the pool and washed down w/ our drink dijour, vodka lemonades. Around 1 pm we decided we felt like snorkeling. So 3 of us headed out to the reef to the right of the beach. Tons of fish out today and visibility was amazing. Of course I yelled at a few groups of cruiser to stop standing on the coral. At this point one of my friends was having problems w/ her snorkel and turned back to grab another one, my other friend and I decided we would attempt to snorkel around the point to the rocky beach. The coral around the point is amazing! It was like being in a different world. The fish were plentiful and huge! It is possibly the best snorkeling I have ever done, totally beats the Indians & Monkey Point and anywhere else I have snorkeled in the BVI or STJ. For any of you avid snorkelers that only stay on STJ, you should make it a day trip to come to Sapphire and snorkel pretty kip point. You will not be disappointed! We had almost gotten to the tip of the point and in a deep cravas created by coral and jutting rocks, there it was, waiting, a huge 5ft long barracuda with it’s mouth wide open. It scared the ba-jesus out of us and made us stop in our tracks. We immediately turned around and swam back to the beach. So we did not make it around the point, but that is still on my bucket list for next time.
After a few more pool cocktails and witnessing another wedding at the point, we all headed in to shower and change. We caught the 5:00 people ferry over to STJ.

We had a 7pm reservation at La Plancha del Mar so we had time to spare for shopping and happy hour drinks. We made a stop at Woody’s for some Lime in da Coconuts and headed over to Mongoose Junction. We shopped a little bit and before you knew it, it was time for dinner! We had balcony seat which were wonderful. It was very quiet, which was nice too. Our waitress Shannon was a doll, she put up with us loud and demanding girls. We had their app special which was a clam and shrimp dish, two of us had the tuna, one had the paella, and one had the chicken.

Everything was fantastic, especially the martinis! After dinner we headed over to the bar to finish our drinks b/c we were getting eaten alive.

The bartender Allen was a hoot and we enjoyed talking to him. At that point we were his only patrons at the bar and before leaving, he gave us complimentary shots made of lycee fruit, pear vodka and something else. It was amazing. Really loved this restaurant and will take my hubby back there next year. We left there and started stumbling back to Woody’s, we scored a table in front and planted ourselves there for the next hour. Again, very quiet there too this night. We drank a lot and decided to move to Wharfside for a couple more before the last ferry left at 11. We walked the beach down to the beach bar, which was dead too, and had a couple painkillers before walking back to the ferry. We met an interesting character on the ferry back who is from Lowell MA and liked to talk to people in a Scottish accent for sh*ts & giggles, very weird, but hey whatever floats your boat. Back on STT we were drunk hungry, so we headed to the Caribbean Saloon for some fried food. We gorged on nachos and loaded fries and then caught a taxi back to Sapphire, sufficiently drunk and stuffed we all passed out. We all slept awful that night because the fried food sat in our stomachs, lesson learned.

Next up , Megans Bay
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I'm lovin your trip report...thanks for sharing...looking forward to your next installment...
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

I am SO enjoying your trip report! We'll be on Sapphire Beach 2 weeks from today. How's the life at Sapphire? I hear they may have re-opened one of their restaurants there.
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

They haven't open any of the resaurants at Sapphire Beach Resort. There is the Banana Cabana which is an outdoor food cart/grill with all sorts of good food and drink. They open for breakfast and close at 5. There is also The Sapphire Grill at Sapphire Village at the top of the hill. This may be what you are talking about. It was recently purchased by new owners and renamed. I heard it is very good, we just didn't get a chance to eat there.
kellog24

Post by kellog24 »

STTlover wrote:They haven't open any of the resaurants at Sapphire Beach Resort. There is the Banana Cabana which is an outdoor food cart/grill with all sorts of good food and drink. They open for breakfast and close at 5. There is also The Sapphire Grill at Sapphire Village at the top of the hill. This may be what you are talking about. It was recently purchased by new owners and renamed. I heard it is very good, we just didn't get a chance to eat there.
Ok, thanks for the info!
Connie

Post by Connie »

Sapphire Grill is up in the Village and they also stroll the beach to see if anyone wants anything to eat.

My BIGGEST problem at Sapphire? The cruisers standing on the coral. I had to have my husband whistle at a guy and his child walking all across it. I told him to get off the coral and he actually gave me the finger!!!

It's really out of hand when the cruisers come in.

I also love the pool bar and our unit was right there on the corner. Wow....what a great view. I really miss it and I could sit there all day long.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

sounds like a lot of fun so far!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting