Anyone know dates for Carival 2012?

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
GotToGetAway

Anyone know dates for Carival 2012?

Post by GotToGetAway »

I'm trying to plan a trip in April/May 2012. I'm thinking of making our return flight home on Saturday May 5, 2012.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be when the Carnival parade through town will be. I'd rather not plan to drive to the airport on parade day. Can anyone give me words of advice or a good rule of thumb for when the parade usually is (as I think the dates may not yet be planned for 2012)?

Thanks in advance.
Tickerless :(
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

After thinking about it a little, now I'm concerned it could be when we planned to arrive Saturday April 28th, 2012 (last Saturday in April). I'd rather not arrive on parade day either or when the streets are blocked off.

Anyone with advice?? Please!!!
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

The dates for STT Carnival next year will April 22, 2012 to April 28, 2012. Its always been the last week of April. This year was different due to Easter being that week so they pushed carnival a week. But you can usually count on it being the last week of April.

The parade is on main street, not waterfront, so there won't be any roads closed down saturday going to or from the airport thru town. It might be alitte conjested, but not closed. So don't let it worry you.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

You saved the day!!!

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I've got plane tickets on a 24 hour hold and I really want to book it and send the money for the villa!

But, do you think car rental companies on STT will be open, or do they close for parade day?
mrscaptainjay

Post by mrscaptainjay »

Car rental companies will be open but since it's carnival you would want to reserve way in advance. the only businesses closed during that time are government offices and some restaurants :-)