June 2011 TR

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
oldbuddy

June 2011 TR

Post by oldbuddy »

Although I didn't enjoy it as much as St John or St Croix, I enjoyed it. It was hot which was fine for swimming, snorkling, boating, but not so good for eating. Most of the places we ate were open air. I guess we could've looked for AC, but I had a list of places I wanted to try.
In Red Hook:
DuffY's Love Shack - Such a fun place. After 6:00, they move tables right out into the parking lot. Very kitchy tropical.
Island Time Pub - Very young crowd, strong drinks, busy, inexpensive and decent food.
Lattitude 18 - I counted 47 bug bites on my legs. The food and drinks were fine. Didn't like the band.
Molly Malone's - Liked the Irish influence. Fun crowd. Moved us right next to a fan.
Around island:
Havana Blue - Best food all week. Truly great cooking and presentation. Nice bottle of wine. Saw a bride and groom having a private dinner on the beach. Still no AC.
Fungi's on the Beach - Fiesty waitress. My food was dried out; my husband's was fine. Decor needed a refresh.
Greenhouse - Only place in town that appeared open; I guess it was Sunday and no cruise ships. Service was good and got a window table. Didn't like their Mango Mojito.
Cafe at Paradise Point - Wonderful view. The food and drinks were surprisingly good. They had a guitar player and a Mocko Jumbie. Went back a second time, but could only get drinks as no cruise ship in port.
We stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort. It is right on the beach with a great view. The swimming and snorkeling wer very good. The pool is nice, two level, no hot tub. We picked a privately owned condo (C206) which was very comfortable and well equipped. No restaurant, but it had a snack bar open for breakfast and lunch. Loved how close it was to Red Hook.
Went to Magen's Bay. Pretty, good swimming and the snack bar had delicious sandwiches.
Went to Coral World. Got there early; found a spot right by the door. Went from one demo to another. I especially like the sea lion. Left our car parked and walked the short distance to snorkel at Coki Beach. That was the best snorkel of the week. We heard the area was rough, so we rented a locker for $5. Since we paid for admissiion to Coral World, we could use their restrooms and showers.
Took a small boat to St John twice and took the ferry (30 minutes) to Tortola. Ate at Pusser's and enjoyed the ambience. I'd go again, but not in the summer.
VIlanders

Post by VIlanders »

Thanks for your trip report. Sounds like you had a good time even in the heat. We have never been to the islands in the summer just for that reason. Fortunately, our schedule allow us to visit other times of the year.