First time for me in STT

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
searchin4beach

First time for me in STT

Post by searchin4beach »

My husband and I are headed to St. Thomas for our 12th anniversary. We will be arriving Sept. 4 and I can't tell you how ecstatic I am to be going...finally!! We're in Louisiana and it's so hot here; I'm definately ready for some relief!
I've been reading the forums for several days and you guys make it so easy to envision what we're in for! A few questions though: What's a painkiller? I'm pretty sure it's a rather stout drink, but I'm not sure what's in it. I'm a lightweight when it comes to pretty drinks with umbrellas, so I'd appreciate knowing what's in it to establish if I can handle one!
Secondly, like I said, it's our first time in STT. What are some things to do/see that absolutely cannot be missed? I've seen some of the websites and it seems you could be there for months and not do/see most everything. We will be landing and renting a vehicle, so we will be able to travel from island to island. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, we are planning to snorkel, first time. I bought an underwater camera and I'm so so excited to use it!!
We will be staying at Sapphire Beach Resorts, so any info about that area would be useful also.
Thanks so much in advance!! Beverly
You never know if you can hit a homerun if you're too afraid to swing the bat...
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Must do's:
Magen's Beach
Smith Bay Beach
Coral World (if you have little ones)
Day trip over to St.John
Day boat trip to the BVI's
Dinner at any restaurant in Red Hook
Shopping in Charlotte Amalie
Milk Shakes at Udder Delight
Dinner on St. John
Snorkel the reef at Sapphire

I could go on and on :)....
Connie

Post by Connie »

It's great that you have a car. Makes it so much fun in STT.

Sapphire Beach is a great choice. Great beach, great snorkeling and great location!

Lots of places to eat right in Red Hook and it takes you, literally, 3 minutes to get there.

The ferry is there also, so you can get on the car barge and go to STJ for the day. Great beaches over there.

I would also consider a day out on the water to the BVI's, or you could take the ferry over to White Bay/Jost Van Dyke.

Try to do Paradise Point at sunset....it's beautiful.

Make sure you go up to Mountaintop. The drive is really fun and the view is gorgeous.

For a more local feel, go to Coki Beach. Really good snorkeling on both sides of the beach.

Painkillers....hmmmmm...they're good! If you're a light weight, I'd stick to one, maybe two at the most. Another good drink down in STT is a bushwacher. It literally tastes like a milkshake.

You're really going to have a good time!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

A Painkiller, delicious! (originated at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost, so if you do a day trip over there, make sure you order the original!)

1.5 oz Dark Rum
1.5 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Coco Lopez
Fresh Nutmeg on top

My personal favorite is a BBC (Bananas, Bailey's and Cream):

1.5oz Baileys
1oz spiced rum
1 banana
splash of Coco Lopez
stick it in a blender and whip it up!
the above is from:
http://www.woodysseafood.com/st_john_fu ... cktail.htm

The above suggestions are great. A couple of my favorite restaurants if you want a nice meal out are Havana Blue and Craig and Sally's. You will also want to plan to do some shopping in downtown Charlote Amalie. The architecture and history are really amazing. A good breakfast place in the main shopping area is Glady's Cafe. I always eat breakfast there and then go shopping.

My best advice is plan a day trip to St. John early in the week, becuase you may want to go back. The beaches are unspoiled and amazing. Make sure you check on car barge return times. They don't run as late as the people ferry (although getting stuck on St. John would be great in my book! :D )
Connie

Post by Connie »

Good tip on the car barge.

Also, make sure you buy one way tickets when going on the barge. That way, on your way back, you can take any barge that is there at time instead of waiting for the one you took over.
LB

Post by LB »

Enjoy your first trip. Remember the OFF w/deet and sunscreen. We pack a small soft cooler and double walled bev cup to keep water cold. Take some zip lock bags along and coffee filters, they come in handy. Get lunch meat and make sandwiches using all at once so it won't spoil, then freeze so that you will have them on hand to take with you when you go exploring. I pack some energy bars for emergency durning travel.

We take a single size flat sheet which is perfect size for 2 people and doesn't hold sand and drys quickly. You are mostly in the water anyway and not all beaches have chairs, easy to carry, not as bulky as beach towels--you dry fast in the breezes.

We stop at the airport liquor store right at the baggage claim, we then stop at the fruit stand in the east end for limes. You will find that Marina Market in Red Hook will have everything you need.
Enjoy your trip
Regards
LB
searchin4beach

Post by searchin4beach »

Thank you all for the replies! I think they will be very useful! It's only a week before we leave and the excitement is building by the day!
You never know if you can hit a homerun if you're too afraid to swing the bat...
Connie

Post by Connie »

I forgot to tell you about the hoagies and sandwiches at the Marina Market.

When you don't want to go out and just want to veg out at the beach, go grab one. They make really good ones and one of them should be enough for 2 of you.

They're really good!
loguevacations

Post by loguevacations »

I have a rental villa at Sapphire Beach Resort and will send you my list of recommendations that I share with my guests if you want.