Sapphire Beach Resort Help Please!

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
islandjo2010

Sapphire Beach Resort Help Please!

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hello Forum Friends,
Our family of 4 will be vacationing on STJ this summer and are looking to stay our first night on STT. Our flight doesn't get in until 3:45pm so thought this might be a good option so not to feel so rushed getting over to STJ like we did 2 years ago. We would like somewhere with nice, clean accomodations and close to the beach to stroll in the evening and the next morning before checking out, having lunch and heading over to STJ.
Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is of interest...can anyone give me their thoughts? I have also looked at the Best Western Emerald Beach Resort. The reviews are mixed for both.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Jo
dtenel
Location: My feet are in Michigan....My heart is in St. Thomas

Post by dtenel »

BWEB would be a perfect spot! It is about 1/4 mile from the airport, sits on a beautiful beach, and has a pool, beach bar, and a restuarant. All of the rooms are ocean front as well with a balcony.
TouristTrapCheryl

My Vote is not for The Best Western

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

The Best Western is really best for staying in STT when you have to be close to
the airport for a flight out - when you don't want to run into a traffic jam as
you make your way across STT to catch a flight. It's not the nicest hotel property
on STT, not by far. Several years ago I stayed their overnight to catch an early
flight out and the food at their restaurant was worse than bad. The room was
musty and all in all not a place I would recommend for a one night STT vacation.
It may be better these days, but I still don't recommend it over Saphire.
The Best Western is walking distance to the airport - though not if you have heavy bags-
and being that close to the airport when you are flying out makes it a great choice, but arriving with
several hours of daylight remaining, I recommend heading across STT to one of
the resorts on the north east shore of STT. Those properties are much
prettier and there are much better dining choices nearby around Red Hook
just minutes away. And that means the next day you will be only a few minutes
from the ferry with no frustrating traffic to deal with. I have not stayed at any of the resorts in
this area so I cannot personally recommend one over the other. I have been to
these properties driving through for drop-offs on the way home to STJ from the airport
and I can tell you The Best Western is downright depressing in comparison.
Catching an outbound flight, The Best Western was not so bad that I would not
stay there again, but I usually stay at The Island Beachcomber, right next door
to The Best Western which has one of my favorite beach bars ever. Hope this helps. -c
-cheryl

STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Islandjo2010, my parents own at Sapphire...I just sent you a pm.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Islandjo,
I know I talked to you through a PM regarding Secret Harbour, but I had not told you that we've actually stayed at Sapphire the last 3 years in a row. We've always rented through VRBO, and stayed in a different unit each time. All 3 of them were great rooms. I have not rented through the resort, so I can't speak as to what the rooms are like that they put short term rentals in. We love Sapphire. It is clean, nice pool, great beach, great views. Not a lot of food choices onsite, but the little Banana Cabana (which is a food cart between 2 of the buildings) serves nice hot dogs, hamburgs, sandwiches and breakfast items. They also have refreshing island drinks :) It would probably work perfectly for your 1 night stay! And I agree with the other poster that staying near Red Hook makes perfect sense so that you are easy access to the ferry when you want to leave in the afternoon for STJ.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thanks for the replies!

Cheryl ~ from what I have been gathering from your thoughts and others...the NE shore of STT is what I am looking for!

STTlover ~ Thank you...I sent you a PM too!

michigancouple ~ Thank you for your PM about Secret Harbour and this reply about Sapphire...I do think for the price and location, Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina is going to be our 1 night before heading to STJ.

Thanks again forum friends! I appreciate all the help and expertise! :)

Jo
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hi Forum Friends!

Update on my search for a 1 night rental on STT before heading to STJ...

So far I have not been successful in finding a villa at Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina for 1 night through VRBO because June is so far out and I understand they do not want to risk losing a longer booking.

So I am now looking more closely at Secret Harbor was thinking about Sugar Bay, but just had a message to "not" think about it. :shock:

Thanks for all the advice...it is always apprciated! 8)
Jo
2beachbums

Post by 2beachbums »

I wouldn't do the BW either! Their beach is really a sandbox that they put some chairs in! We love the northside of STT. Keep checking VRBO or Homeaway. It may be hard to find a place for one night thoughat a private residence. Bolonga Bay is a fun place to hang out and I'm sure you could get a room for one night. They are a local hotel on the beach with a fun beach bar/restaurant called Iggy's. Good luck!
STTlover

Post by STTlover »

Islandjo, try this b&b they are located above Red Hook.

http://twosandals.com/
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hi STTlover ~ Thank you! I looked at the TwoSandals B&B website. That does look like a nice place to stay for the night and they will allow for 1 night rental at an additional fee. I have saved it as a favorite...the one drawback is no pool for late night swimming that the kids will want to do.

2beachbums ~ Thank you for your advice. Bolonga Bay does look like a fun place...maybe if it were just my hubby and me!

I have a couple specific questions about Secret Harbour Resort...I will start another post for that.

Thank you again everyone for all the advice and help...much appreciated! 8)
Jo