Need help,lodging 2 nights for 2 couples in Jan.

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
ShaSha

Need help,lodging 2 nights for 2 couples in Jan.

Post by ShaSha »

First time in STT. We are only there two nights but want to make the best of the Island. Need help with where to stay and what to do. We are not renting a car but will do taxi. Any information will greatly be appreciated!!
eala

Post by eala »

We stayed in the Redhook area on East end of the island last month for a night, Secret Harbour felt safe. Magens Bay area also seemed secure on the north side. Be careful in the downtown area... the nightlife isn't what you'd expect of an US island travel destination. We were quite shocked and disturbed by some of the conditions on STT. Although, the beaches were beautiful. STJ's a different story, we got an amazing week to remember. Loved it over there w/the National park!
Don't sweat the small stuff!
firsttimetousvi

Post by firsttimetousvi »

What do you mean when you say you were quite shocked and disturbed by conditions on STT? We have a family trip planned in May, I hope it is a nice place to vacation for kids. We don't plan on any nightlife besides eating out for dinner. Is STT very run down?
eala

Post by eala »

Well, there were torched vehicles pushed off to the side of the road. Men on the side of the road screaming at nothing (maybe the cars going by) for hours on end just after dusk. People living in the bottom floor of a two story building that had no roof. So many telephone poles had pictures of little girls that were missing. The island beaches are gorgeous, the neglect on the interior was disheartening. I guess the government corruption is worse than even here on the mainland can imagine from what local business owners relayed to us. We're from the Detroit area and I can say I've never felt racism like that before. The USVI wasn't like our trip to Kaua'i at all.
Poohwear

Just like anywhere else...

Post by Poohwear »

Just like any town there are places where one should not put themselves after dark. In your town it may be near the airport or behind the train station, in St. Thomas it is Coki Beach area and the end of town nearest the airport. Local inhabitants work all day (or maybe not...) and may want to party and drink at night. There are drugs here and all that come with it....guns, fights, stuff that may be hidden in the underworld of your hometown too. Be aware of your surroundings, stay in well lit areas, don't go out walking alone....sound familiar? You would do the same at home. St. Thomas is a beautiful island with lovely amenities for all visitors to enjoy. Just use your own good judgement as you would at home or in any strange new environment. There is no big business here, tourism in the business for most of these people. Don't flaunt your jewelry, don't flash your cash. Just enjoy the beauty of the islands and be polite to the people, this is THEIR island, you are just borrowing time on it. I own a condo on STT and have been vacationing and now retired there for 35+ years. I have never had a bad experience in all that time. You can private message me with any questions you might have if you want to...I would be happy to help you have a wonderful vacation with your family!
Poohwear
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

To eaala:I have never seen any pictures on telephone poles of little girls that are missing. There was a missing teenager their family was looking for. She turned up a day or two later. This happens all over the US.Not little girls.
Cars burned out and left on the road. Not seen that either. A car that may have burned will certainly be moved by the end of the day.
Guys screaming at nothing at nothing? Don't know about that one.
People living in houses with no upstairs. Well locals prefer to build for cash. They only build with what they have, no borrowing. After time they will finish the house, move upstairs and rent out below. Little strange but that;'s how it's done. You could have asked. Sorry you did not enjoy our paradise as thousands do!!
BTW: You got this from one night's stay?
RL 8)
eala

Post by eala »

When we landed at Cyrus, we were so excited. We had been prepared for Charlotte Amalee to be a city with all that it entails. I took off all my normal jewelry because I certainly didn't need to impress the fish while snorkeling. We travel and are from a dangerous metropoliton area therefore we stay aware and take precations as a matter of common sense. Although, the interior of the island didn't get better. Honestly, if STJ hadn't improved over STT we probably would have cut our vacation short and flew home early. I'm sorry I didn't use my camera to capture these less than ideal shots, I didn't find them particularly picturesque. I'm only relaying what we saw. Again, we're planning to return probably next year and maybe even stay at the Weston on STJ but I doubt I'll even grocery shop on STT (it wasn't worth it). I heard one longtime USVI snowbird refer to STT as ST. Trauma; her words, not mine.