Thoughts on visiting Coral World

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
islandjo2010

Thoughts on visiting Coral World

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hello Everyone!

My 12 1/2 year old daughter and I will have 3 days on STT when my husband and son are out scuba diving. Then we head to STJ for 2 weeks where we will snorkel everyday. This is our first time to visit STT (only second visit to STJ), so we will explore STT beaches, but thought I would try to find something she would find special for just her and I to do.

Is Coral World worth a visit and if so what encounters are the best?

Has anyone done the trek at Coral World? It look neat, but a very short time under water!

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions for the day would be appreciated! :)

Jo
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have not gone to Coral World, but we have seen a number of beaches. The best beaches, in our opinion, is Saphire Bay. There are reefs on the left and right and a grass area in the middle where you are likely to see turtles. There are also rest rooms and places to eat on site. Coki Point is a place where the fish are fed by the snorkelers. There are a lot of fish to see. Unfortunately, due to the feeding, the behavior is very unnatural.

Have a great trip.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hi Jim!

Thanks for your reply!

I have read that the snorkeling is good at Sapphire...a plus with us staying at Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina! I know we will be snorkeling quite a bit during the almost 3 week visit so was looking for something to do that would break it up a bit. I know this is strange...our 12 year old daughter isn't really into shopping. Bummer because I hear shopping is really good on STT! I hoped to hear from someone who has visited recently to get their opinion on if Coral World would be something a soon to be teenager would enjoy!

The guys are getting pretty excited for their open water scuba diving! I am sure they are going to just LOVE it.

Where do you scuba dive near home...Table Rock Lake?

Thanks and take care neighbor! :)
Jo
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Jo,

I'll bet you are going to have a great trip. Yes the shopping is very good on STT. The key to getting a good deal quicker is to let them know thay you are not on a ship. When you tell them that you are staying for 2 weeks and you'll come back later, they will make a good offer. They don't want you to leave the store without making a purchase. Even if you don't like shopping, a walk down the main street is great for people watching. Another good spot is a window seat at the Greenhouse. It is on the waterfront facing the cruise ship docks.

Where will your guys be diving? They will have a fabulous time. We don't dive here. After diving the VI and the Great Barrier Reef, these lakes hold no attraction for us.

We have to start planning next year's trip!

Have a great trip.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We stayed on STT on the way to STJ two years ago. The inn keeper said Coral World was not to be missed but we just didn't have the time to visit it.

I printed off a historic walking tour map from Froders that took us down the 99 steps and such, a very scenic walk.

We enjoyed the historic houses at Blackbeard's Castle. The docents were very knowledgable and seemed to really enjoy educating us. (we are into old houses and ask a lot of questions)

I am not a shopper (and the agressive nature of the store employees turned me off even more) I did like walking around CA along the harbor. We had a great lunch as Gladyss.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Jim ~ thanks for the shopping tips! The guys still haven't made their dive referral reservations...not sure what they are waiting for. :roll: I know they will dive 2 days on STT and my hubby is thinking about a dive day on STJ.

PA Girl ~ thanks for the info about what the Inn Keeper said about Coral World. My daughter has explored it's website and wants to go...just would like to hear from someone who has been there and get their opinion on the encounters...are they worth the "extra" $30-$60 cost per person! The Walking Tour sounds like something I should check into...Blackbeard's Castle was something on my list too! Thanks!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I would like to hear first hand opinions too. At first look, it seems like something my son would love. We enjoyed starting our trip out on STT and would do it again. (we did San Juan in Feb for three nights on the way to STJ and loved it too)

An odd/unique feature about Blackbeard's Castle is they have a pool, a very nice pool with a beautiful view, for vistors to enjoy. I can't remember the entry fee but I don't think it was too spendy. We were there in July and a dip in the pool would have been nice but I didn't plan ahead and bring suits. I remember a bar next to the pool.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hi PA Girl ~ I checked again, Blackbeard's Castle is $14 for adults and $5 for children...I agree, pretty reasonable compared to many tours and use of the pool is included! :) They are only open in the summer on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays. We arrive on a Tuesday so we would have to spend our first day there...I don't know but being from Missouri, our first day will most likely be on the beach!

I know I will probably be scolded for doing so but since I haven't heard from anyone on this STT forum who has been to Coral World, I may post on the STJ forum. :idea: Worth a try!

Thanks!
Jo
loguevacations

Post by loguevacations »

We have had a condo at Sapphire Beach Resort since 1999. Yes, the snorkeling is excellent there plus there is a full service Padi-certified dive shop - Dive In, owned by Bruce Pachta. Coral World is wonderful for all ages. I have been there several times and always recommend it my guests. (Look for coupons in the free guide books available at the airport.) The regular exhibits are worth the trip. I have gone Sea Trekking and it was great fun. My son has done the swimming with the sea lions twice and it is a fantastic experience. (Buy the CD they make for you - it's good.) Make a reservation for these last two activities since they fill up fast when the cruise ship passengers arrive. 8)
loguevacations

Post by loguevacations »

About shopping, your daughter might enjoy walking around downtown Charlotte Amalie for the history and uniqueness of it. There are great prices for jewelry and watches (shop for her and she may want to go.) I also think she (and you) would enjoy the outdoor market beside the visitors' parking lot. It's fun to browse the numerous and varied items. Stop for lunch at the air conditioned Gladys' Cafe. You may even hear Gladys break into song! 8)
LB

Post by LB »

Drive to Mountain Top. One famous St Thomas icon not to be missed. Enjoy the view from the deck overlooking Magens Bay, another famous icon not to be missed, take photos including from Drakes Seat, yet another St Thomas historical icon, shop the vendors at the other overlooks, get a picture sitting on the famous donkey. Drive down to Magens Bay from Mountain Top, enjoy the 3 mile beach. Stop at Udder Delight for a smoothy on the way out.
Enjoy your time
LB