Sugar Bay Resort

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
ktziff

Sugar Bay Resort

Post by ktziff »

I am looking at booking a family vacation with our 2 kids, 8 + 12. Appreciate any feedback on the Sugar Bay resort. It looks nice on their website and reviews are mostly good.

How is the beach there? Smooth or rocky? Clean?

Accomodations- clean and spacious?

Food quality on resort as well as nearby?

We are annual visitors to Aruba and would like to try St Thomas.

Appreciate any assistance from the experts on this forum! Thank you.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

It has been a while but if I am recalling correctly the beach there actually has to have sand brought to it? Can anyone verify that?

There are plenty of dining options in Red Hook on the east end which is not far and also other restaurants along the way.

Hopefully a St. Thomian or someone who has stayed at Sugar Bay recently can help with some additional info!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I think you will find Sugar Bay to be Vastly different than any Aruba property - the beach is small, not particularly an attraction of the resort overall, the food as generally perceived is adequate and if you are thinking all-inclusive you may reconsider - STT has quite a few restaurant options on every level of dining and that aspect is well worth exploring - even Red Hook which is 5 min. away has a wide variety of dining establishments - personally I prefer XO Bistro and Texas Pit BBQ - with Island Tyme an excellent happy hour and food with a view stop for sure.
Visit Lindqvist Bay, [Smith Bay Park] - Magens Bay - some of the STJ beaches, Francis, Hawksnest, or Cinnamon before you start comparing the USVI to Aruba - a trip to the BVI will also be a treat not available in the ABC's - the rooms at Sugar Bay won't disappoint but it is sculpted into a steep hillside so avail yourself of the shuttle but the views from the room overlooking Pillsbury Sound and the breezes are a bonus - the pool area will be wonderful for pre teens but do get out and around STT and over to STJ at least one day.
LB

Post by LB »

Sugar Bay provides many activities for kids, and location is situated so that kids can run loose without being able to wander off property, it has nightlife including a Caribbean Review Night. Outsiders are not permitted on site. However non guests do park in SB lot and take the shuttle van up to the hotel acting as guests, then they walk down to the poolside activities. No riff raff. You will likely want to enjoy more of the island or take day trips. Expect to do a lot of walking up and down hills, or waiting for shuttles at SB.

Enjoy
LB