Newbie Questions

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
jtomko

Newbie Questions

Post by jtomko »

Hello! I am new to the forum and traveling in the USVI. As background we are mid to late 30s and have mostly traveled to adult only all-inclusives. We have recently discovered the USVI via a cruise ship and want to return for a week to see if this is a place we could buy a vacation home and potentially retire to.

That said, I am looking for recommendations on accommodations. No preference for hotel vs. house/condo rental. We enjoy a great beach that we can hang at, run on, etc. I am a vegetarian so I also want to make sure I can eat healthy while on vacation and not all salads. Given the purpose of the trip, we would prefer to stay on the east end or north end of the island since that is potentially where we would buy.

Any suggestions on where to stay/not to stay given the mission of the vacation is greatly appreciated. I have learned so much for other travelers from boards such as this! I hope you will forgive me for my lack of knowledge!
Exit Zero

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Exit Zero »

Researching it as a real estate or retirement destination I would recommend staying in a rental apt. or house -- use VRBO to get an idea -- this will give you a better idea of home life, shopping for food and driving in different areas - more so than a hotel or beach condo IMO.
You can visit different beaches to get a varied look at the advantages - and have better questions for a real estate agent having gotten out and about.
Food shopping for a vegetarian will not be hard - Fruit Bowl - CostuLess - Plaza Extra - and Pueblo all have a huge variety of fresh vegetables and fruits - grains and legumes are widely available - the roadside stands offer another shopping opportunity.

Make contact with a real estate agent early in your visit if you have any serious intention of looking at available properties - you can look online ahead of time for the classified ads in the VI Daily News to get an idea of the prices and areas - inquire about condo fees and assessments if you are thinking condo instead of a home - if you are considering renting it out when you are not here ask about management companies, especially if it is short term rentals. Ask about cistern size and WAPA bills too.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

See about staying at Two Sandals at the Sea. It is a wonderful bed/breakfast in Red Hook. The owners relocated a few years ago to St Thomas, they are delightful. They are on a hill, nice walk to a small beach and to Red Hook. Easy drive to the north side of the island. Also, the Marina Mart, in Red Hook, has a bit more varied grocery supply and there is also a nice wine/cheese shop there as well. I have lived on the islands, on and off, and there will be challenges: well worth it. The nice breezes means your power bills won't include air con, and your clothing bill will be very small, everything is casual. Flip side: power outages are frequent but rarely long, food will be about 30% higher than states but you can find good produce and seafood at local stands. If you need care packages from home, the US Postal service is same as in US, so are calls back and forth. I suggest ATT for cell. All the best!
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

We stayed at Cabrita by the Sea, a little condo complex on the east end near Red Hook, last year. This is NOT a resort...but it would give you an idea of island life. Our unit was a studio, only $99 night, full kitchen, right on the water ( not a sandy shoreline though) with a porch that was perfect for watching the boats leave the harbor over morning coffee. the listing was on VRBO. The owners, Kim and Peter would be great for providing information about island life. You pass the Ritz Carlton property on the way, and their beach is easily accessible - tho we never used it. We were off exploring different snorkeling beaches every day. Your trip sounds exciting. Have fun!
My heart belongs on St John!