Charlotte Amalie shopping

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
toes in the sand

Charlotte Amalie shopping

Post by toes in the sand »

We will be on StJ in January. We like to take the downtown ferry and shop in Charlotte Amalie. Looking at the current cruise ship schedule, there are few or no ships in port on Saturday. Will most shops still be open or will many close early or not open at all?
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Exit Zero

Re: Charlotte Amalie shopping

Post by Exit Zero »

Saturday is always a great day to shop in town -- all the stores are open and the parking lot has open spaces because the Govt. offices are closed.
If you are there in the early morning the Market Sq. is interesting as well.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Is Market Square the area with all the "pop-ups"? By pop-ups I mean the Quick Shade type booths. If I remember they were to the right of the main shopping area when looking inland from the ferry dock.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

NO - the area you mention is sometimes called the flea market - it has some interesting booths and more with cheap T shirts and hats, Chinese fabrics and trinkets, knock off leather goods and jewelry and such.
The Market Sq. is the other side of town on the western part of Main St.- on Sat mornings it has local fruits, vegetables, fish, seasonings and drinks, plants and has been the traditional market day for a long,long time - not tourist oriented but interesting and unique.