Best snorkeling off beach ?

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
islandjo2010

Best snorkeling off beach ?

Post by islandjo2010 »

Hello!

Our family will be visiting STT this summer and were wondering what's your favorite beach to snorkel?

A couple of years back we stayed a few nights on STT before heading to STJ and snorkeled Sapphire Beach where we were staying and found it to be pretty good. We spend a day a Megan's and it was a beautiful swimming beach but didn't find much snorkeling there...or did we miss it?

I have heard Secret Garden or Hulls Bay offered great snorkeling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :)
scoob

Re: Best snorkeling off beach ?

Post by scoob »

Coki Beach ,Lindquist, or Secret Harbor are good for snorkeling.

Scoob
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thank you Scoob for replying! I have made note of all 3 of these beaches for snorkeling!

I remember seeing Coki Beach when my daughter and I went to Coral World and the guys went scuba diving. As I recall, there were quite a few people there...a clue it is a great spot. We just ran out of time!

I had to Google Lindquist Beach...could not find it listed in the book I have. It is described as the "secret sands" of St. Thomas! We will definitely put it on our "to visit" list! :)

Thank you again...appreciate your help! :)

Jo
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Lindquist is now known as Smith Bay Park. It's just a mile or so past Sapphire Beach. I've never snorkled there but it a nice beach with a great view.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Somehow I never actually snorkeled Coki in 5 years of living there - I think that was just always too crowded for me.

Lindquist is a great spot - lots of sandy bottom in the middle, shallow reefs on both sides. Also had some good long and deeper water snorkels at Secret Harbor.

I lived near Magens and people seem to think it is a "boring" snorkel but I always enjoyed it and have snorkeled it maybe 100 times I would bet - especially for small things in shallow water, but you would be surprised at the stuff you can see in the deep water far out (like - SHARKS!). The west end side rocks can be amazing - the water gets deeper, there are a lot of sea fans, schools of fish, etc.

The east side rocks are shallow, great for kids, lots of really small things if you know what to look for, - shrimps, crabs, lobsters -

Hull can be difficult - especially if the surf is up which is common. I did see a sea snake there though that I never saw again.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thank you Anthony for the great info! I am keeping all this in my notes!

I do think the reason we didn't make time for Coki was because of the crowds we seen...will check it out this summer though. And with your detailed description of Magen's, we may have to give it a second chance!

Appreciate the advice and thanks again! :)
Jo