Sapphire Beach Resort Opinions Needed

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
JohnnyB

Sapphire Beach Resort Opinions Needed

Post by JohnnyB »

Ok everyone, we haven't been to St. Thomas since 2007 and are planning on going back the beginning of 2015. Whenever we went, we stayed at the Sapphire Village resort (up on the hill). Since I now have a harder time going up and down the hill to the beach, We want to stay at Sapphire Beach Resort (right on the beach). Since we haven't been there in a while, any anyone out there give me an update on how the resort is currently? I hope it hasn't gone downhill. Thanks for your input!
Poohwear

Re: Sapphire Beach Resort Opinions Needed

Post by Poohwear »

Downhill in a hand basket but slowly trying to make a u-turn...
Poohwear
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Don't know but I do know the Wyndam Bluebeard's Beach Resort is flat and has a lovely beach, as does Marriott's Frenchman's Cove.
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

As I recall in 2007 when you were last there, the restaurants were closed. If that is the case then the only major changes are that 3 of the buildings (A, B,and D) had complete exterior refurbishing done. The pool bar and main restaurant will also be refurbished and work was started, and will be done but it is uncertain when it will all get done.

The dive shop is open and the Banana Cabana serves food and drink delivered right to your beach chair. The Grill at the Village also has runners on the beach delivering food and drink. There is now a food truck at the top of the hill that is rated as one of the best restaurants on the island serving barbque items. Pavillions and Pools has a fairly new English Pub style restaurant called Cheers Mate. Of course Red Hook is juist a few minutes away.

The beach of course is the best feature but if you are looking for all the resort amenities like massage, and salon then Sapphire is not the place for you.

There are huge differences in the decor and condition of individual units so I would recommend that you rent directly from an owner on a site like vrbo.com so you know in advance what you are renting.
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Thanks everyone for the info. Our main interests besides the beach is snorkeling, kayaking and a well maintained place to stay. We plan on renting a car again to get around the island.

Equineannie - I will have to look into those places you mentioned - Thanks!

Beachboy - You're right about the restaurants. Contacting an owner direct seems like the bast way to go if staying there - Thanks!

Poohwear - Boy, I hope it DOES make a u-turn. It would be a shame for the ploace to fall apart considering the location.

Always happy to get more info!
ms411

Post by ms411 »

A lot can happen between now and the time of your visit, but there have been gradual improvements. But, some of the cruise lines are selling tours to Sapphire so expect crowds on some days.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)