Night Snorkel

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
dctac

Night Snorkel

Post by dctac »

Okay, I got one off my bucket list! I bought an underwater light and brought down this year. our last days were at the Marriott cove and I had planned on doing a snorkel at night. I've seen the tarpon follow the lighted kayaks so I went out (alone) before the kayaks. WOW It was an awesome experience. I wish I could post the video I got. I had two big stingrays 8 ft below me with up to 6 or seven big tarpon circling me! I'd shine my light on a small fish in front of the tarpon and it would inhale it! A few good size permit would also buzz through. On the swim back to the beach a nice size barracuda was lurking..... Great adrenaline rush.... I know swimming alone in the dark may not be the safest thing but in front of the cove I felt safe.. I will say next year I'm bringing down a wetsuit top and maybe a knife for my leg to keep my wife happy!! She freaked out when from the room she saw the light go out then I started circling following the fish! She though I was being eaten by a shark!!!The water was way cold, it took me 10 minutes swimming hard to stop shakin.... Highly recommended

dctac
ms411

Re: Night Snorkel

Post by ms411 »

There's a company offering night snorkel tours, too, by reservation only. If you Google night snorkeling st Thomas it should be easy to find.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
dctac

Re: Night Snorkel

Post by dctac »

Video from that nite
http://youtu.be/CJc1FFq9Jn0