BVI trip-where?

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
quetsch

BVI trip-where?

Post by quetsch »

Trying to plan a 20th anniversary trip-thought that BVI's would be a great place
to go- thinking Virgin Gorda- any recommendations? How difficult is it to get
there from St. Thomas?? Thanks for input!
PA Girl

Re: BVI trip-where?

Post by PA Girl »

We visited VG once and enjoyed it very much. There is a ferry from STT that runs on set days but I don't know the schedule.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Well, you've picked a great island for your visit. For my money I'd either stay around The Baths in The Valley or in a villa at Mahoe Bay.

Around The Baths in The Valley you have Guavaberry Spring Bay with very reasonable 1 & 2 BR rondels or several villas right around The Baths. Excellent snorkeling at Spring Bay and beach exploring all along that coastline. Spanish Town is very close with restaurants, bakery, etc, etc.

Mahoe Bay's snorkeling from shore is the equivilant of STJ's best. A wide array of villas in the moderate to high end price range there. Both Spanish Town and the North Sound are within 10 - 15 min drive for ammenities.

The ferry runs direct from CA to Spanish Town on Tues & Thurs at 8:45AM and 5:00PM and on Sat at 4:00PM. Otherwise you're heading into RoadTown on Tortola then on over to VG and the connections can be tight.
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Virgin Gorda is a great choice. We stayed at Guavaberry Spring Bay last fall and it was very reasonable and very comfortable. You can't beat the beach there. If you go to VG, be sure to plan a day trip to Anegada. You can take the high speed ferry from Spanish Town.

My first choice for the BVI, however, is the Sandcastle on White Bay, Jost Van Dyke. The cottages are right on the beach. In the morning, it's beautiful and quiet. You'll have a great breakfast and then watch the party come to you at the Soggy Dollar Bar. Late afternoon, the party starts to leave and you have a great dinner on the beach and then have the whole place to yourself. There are only 6 units at the Sandcastle, so it's very intimate.

The best possible scenario for me would be to split my time between the two islands.