A Dive Trip to BVI?

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
jimg20

A Dive Trip to BVI?

Post by jimg20 »

We are considering making our next trip a dive trip to the BVI. We have made day trips to JVD and VG, and we dove the Rhone. Other than that, our BVI experiene is very limited. We are hoping that we can get lots of great advice from you like we did when we first came to STJ.

We don't know much about the dive shops in the BVI.

Where is a good place to find a villa? We have been able to stay on STJ for about $1,500 per week, and would like to stay in that range. We are probably going alone but may be bringing other couples. We should probably look at what is available for a larger group.

Thanks

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

AquaGirl

Re: A Dive Trip to BVI?

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Jim
We've made several trips to the BVIs, staying on Tortola several times, VG once, and Peter Island twice. We don't dive any more, (just snorkel), so I can't really speak to the dive operations. I wish I could remember the VG dive shop that Maggy dives with. She speaks highly of them. You might do a search on the forum to see if you can find her trip reports. She probably mentions the name of the dive shop.

Are you going in low season? Do you plan to stay on Tortola or VG or?

On Tortola, we loved the Sugar Mill, but unless you can get a deal (which we did), it can be expensive. The owners are gourmet chefs and the restaurant was outstanding. We stayed at a villa, which is no longer for rent (Lemon Grass) near CGB, and loved it. We went through a business called Purple Pineapple and she was very helpful.

On VG, we stayed at Guavaberry Spring Bay - near the Baths. They are fairly rustic, basic, but comfortable cottages. I think they are in your price range for off season. If you go in May or later, I would highly recommend getting a unit with A/C. The 2BR unit we had was really hot in the afternoon, due to facing the sunset. The people who run GB are extremely nice and helpful, and there is a beautiful beach (Spring Bay) nearby. No pool, if that is important to you. They also have some villas at that end of the island, and I saw 1 or 2 that were reasonably priced, and had a nice view of the boulders and out to sea.

The villas at Leverick Bay get very good reviews. The pool is nice there, but the beach is super tiny and in a marina area. We've never stayed there, but their Jumby dinner and show was great.

Be sure to dive the Indians, if you haven't already. They are huge rocks sticking out of the sea, and have tons of fish and sea life of every sort there. We always see big schools of Blue Chromis and its like an aquarium there. We try to get out there several times on our trips.
Happy trip planning!
jimg20

Re: A Dive Trip to BVI?

Post by jimg20 »

Thanks for that response. Yes, we are going in the low season.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....