We are booked :)

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
toni

We are booked :)

Post by toni »

Thanks to the replies and links to my initial post on the STJ forum, we have booked three nights each on Virgin Gorda and Jost, with two nights on STT. Vicki's blog helped sway us to Jost, and Virgin Gorda gets glowing reviews too. it was a toss up on VG between Guavaberry and Nail Bay but since we aren't snorkelers I do like a pool with a view so we booked the rooftop unit. Being so close to everything on Jost will be a blast; love being able to walk out to the beach.

Wondered since Jost is so small is it walkable? Or not recommended like on STJ due to traffic. Can you walk from white bay to great harbour?

It will be fun to explore two new islands for potential future visits :D

http://www.nailbay.com/sugar_mill.php
http://seacrestinn.net/Rates_D2CJ.php
PA Girl

Re: We are booked :)

Post by PA Girl »

We loved Virgin Gorda and the only thing that has kept us from returning is the logistics. When we visited, we flew directly from San Juan. Then the government shut the airport down for a while and my husband was not interested in juggling flights and ferries.

We went to Nail Bay for dinner one night. This was a couple of years ago. It was pretty and very quiet.

I will search for my trip report....

I think the elevation changes/heat may be your biggest challenge walking on Jost.

ETA - here it is -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... rt#p134239
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Good news indeed Toni! I will let you know what it is like staying on Jost after we return in Sept.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

ski2play wrote:Good news indeed Toni! I will let you know what it is like staying on Jost after we return in Sept.
Let me know too!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Hello all, way to bring me back! How are all of you? Work has been such a bear.....

What was it like to stay on Jost, VanDyke? Fun, Fun, Fun. Darn, I truly do owe all of you a trip report. We had a wonderful time. Can't wait to be doing it for months at a time.

It was only our first stay on the island, so we are so excited to get to know it better like our beloved St John. We went in Sept 2013, one of the slowest times on the island (can you say hurricane season?) Logistically, it was about the same to get to... a plane ride, and another plane ride, a taxi to the other end of the island, and a Ferry to Jost. We ended up using a private charter on the way in since timing was so close on the last ferry. The locals, first and foremost, are wonderful. We rented our private charter, had dinner (3 times), and rented our jeep all from Abe's. The island was mainly closed, but Soggy Dollar was open. Weird to drive there, my money still got wet!

Gotta spend some Easter Time with my kids. I promise I will come back!