Some very random thoughts on Virgin Gorda

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
lprof

Some very random thoughts on Virgin Gorda

Post by lprof »

It is much easier to travel to Virgin Gorda than I had thought.

Spanish Town is not a typical tourist destination as I think of them, and, yes, it is a small town. The kind folks we encountered there looked you in the eye, and you knew at once that they were sincere in whatever they said… warm, friendly, welcoming… helpful.

Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacation Homes is a very, very, well planned, maintained, and managed place where slowing down a notch or two into a simpler mode is relaxing and rewarding. The island as a whole felt much more laid back than the USVI seems to us.

I read three books in six days... "like"

Virgin Gorda has some exclusive resorts and luxury villas, but is not overwhelmed by them. Yet.
http://www.biras.com/ http://www.beyc.com/
In addition to 110 Pond Bay, previously mentioned, there is Oil Nut Bay which is being developed on the far northern tip of Virgin Gorda, and accessible only by boat… or helicopter.
http://oilnutbay.com/overview

It CAN rain A LOT on an island often described as arid.

Buck's Market at the yacht harbor has a deli inside... we forgot to take a look.
A comparison of supermarket prices:

We found restaurant prices similar to those on St John, USVI.
The Roti at the Top of the Baths was excellent. Shrimp dishes that I chose at Mineshaft and Chez Bamboo were lightly spiced with the flavor of West Indian cuisine. My husband found his fish dishes at the same places were more heavily spiced than mine. Food there was a little more interesting than average, yet not something to text home about.
CocoMaya seemed more cosmopolitan than the longer established island places… I could see this restaurant in any beach side location, as in Florida.
I feel reviewing restaurants is relative to so many variables; these are my opinions only.

Hog Heaven is an all around winner… view, service, and the BBQ.

Our car was tuned to Tradewinds radio 92.3 http://twrlive.net/ We also played it on the cottage radio… quite a mix. Listening at home takes me back.

I wish that I had found more info on National Park Trusts and trial maps of Gorda Peak, especially before we arrived.

We missed some side roads which led to beaches we would love to explore. My husband snorkels; he wished for more time there to do so. The weather did have an impact in this regard.

Nail Bay would interest us for dining, beaches, and ruins. Maybe next time, we'll add a few nights there.

A friend has repeated her recommendation of the Sugar Mill at Little Dix Resort for dinner; I would make a point of going! http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/little ... sugar-mill

I would take a ferry out to Saba Rock. And one to Anegada… maybe for an overnight stay.

A very industrious young man, named Gumption, has a small clear bottomed boat for taking out snorkelers, day and night tours and sometimes trips to nearby Necker Island. He has an arrangement with Richard Branson to visit the wildlife habitats on Necker. http://www.seaitclearbvi.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sea-It-C ... 5405318060
This is a big wish for next time!

Until "the next time" I have super good memories and big dreams. Questions are welcome.
Last edited by lprof on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
mindehankins

Re: Some very random thoughts on Virgin Gorda

Post by mindehankins »

Your reports were just wonderful, Linda! I finally had a chance to catch up here. What a cool name - Gumption!!!! If only everyone had more Gumption!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Loved your reports.

We enjoyed VG a lot, but haven't returned due to logistics. Maybe we'll try Seaborne next time. The planes, ferries, taxi's to VG reminded me of an episode of the Amazing Race.
janet
lprof

Post by lprof »

mindehankins wrote:Your reports were just wonderful, Linda! I finally had a chance to catch up here. What a cool name - Gumption!!!! If only everyone had more Gumption!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Thank you Minde: hope you have the day off and can enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family.

jayseadee wrote: We enjoyed VG a lot, but haven't returned due to logistics. Maybe we'll try Seaborne next time. The planes, ferries, taxi's to VG reminded me of an episode of the Amazing Race.
That amazing race trip was before... now you can do anything!!! Maybe we can meet on Virgin Gorda... new goals!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jmq

Post by jmq »

Good stuff! Appreciate the effort and time required to organize and post the photos and other details.

You know I am a fan, but I hope VG doesnt get too crowded as a result of reports and photos like this - then nobody will go there (to paraphrase a great Yogi).

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for your reports. We enjoyed them very much. We really enjoyed our trip Virgin Gorda, but its been quite a few years since we were there. We used Seaborne from SJU to Tortola this year and would definitely consider it for going to VG. We liked it much better than the very small (and uncomfortable) plane we took there.

We also found Spanishtown to be quiet, low key and the people were friendly.

Thanks for the info about Gumption and his snorkeling/Necker trip. I'm going to bookmark that for the future. It sounds different from some of the other trips.

We really enjoyed Nail Bay - the beach, snorkeling and meals at the restaurant. We have considered staying there in the future, especially since the road was mostly paved when we were there. We also loved the food at Mineshaft and ate there twice. Looking forward to Hog Heaven since it gets great reviews and has fabulous views.

Thanks again!
happycanesfan

Post by happycanesfan »

Thank you so much for taking so much times for such great reports. I enjoyed every day, rain or shine. It seems that beaches are not nearly as easy to access as those on St. John. We first went to VG almost 40 years ago, LDB. Things seem to have changed just a little. We have been back only once since, BEYC. For the last 35 years most of our Caribbean trips have been to STJ. We look forward to returning to VG this May. Thank you again.