Trip report Virgin Gorda 4/23 - May 1st.

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
jerseygirl062

Trip report Virgin Gorda 4/23 - May 1st.

Post by jerseygirl062 »

This was our third trip to VG over the years and did not disappoint. We are frequent St. John visitors but find it getting more and more crowded so this spring we decided we needed more quiet and relaxation. We stayed at a Guavaberry one bedroom cottage - very simple yet completely comfy and well equipped. Tina, Michelle and Valerie make a visit here so effortless. This was our first spring visit to VG and we were lucky enough to be there for the annual night blooming cactus - so cool to walk around at night with flashlights and hunt for new blossoms !
Weather was great but very hot - after a tough northeast winter we so looked forward to the sun but forgot just how warm Caribbean warmth is ! I don't know what made me think I'd actually wear the sweaters and lovely capri pants I brought in the suitcase. We lived in shorts and bathing suits.
Everyone we encountered from airport and customs personnel, shop keepers, cashiers and wait staff at restaurants was so friendly - another thing we forgot about the BVI that is so refreshing.
The beaches were gorgeous - Guavaberry Spring Bay, Public Spring Bay, Stony Bay, Devils Bay and Long Bay were favorites. We enjoyed lots of privacy and some great snorkeling . Finally saw a Queen Triggerfish - something that's been on my snorkeling bucket list for some time.
Visited the Coppermine and my husband flew his kite there - if you were on island and saw the kite at various beaches that was us Jersey people.
We found we didn't have dinner out very often as we preferred a late afternoon snorkel and private sunset drink on a beach. We'd get up with the roosters ( how could you not ? )have an early morning snorkel and breakfast at home or Top of The Baths -back for a shower and then often lunch out to escape the mid day heat. Enjoyed casual meals at Hog Heaven, Mad Dogs, Fat Virgin and Saba Rock. Best Margharita at Saba Rock - Petrone Mexicana best Bushwacker at Mad Dogs and Painkillers were good everywhere (the Mango Painkiller at Top of the Baths might win)
We had casual in house dinners with food from the GSB commissary, Bucks Market or chicken and pastries from M&M bakery. Excellent meal and interesting cocktails at Coco Maya. We loved the Hog Heaven pork ribs until we had Coco Maya's Beef rib small plate Tapa. I loved the snapper in citrus dish, and Memories of a Geisha cocktail but everybite we shared among us was delicious. Can't wait to return on our next visit.
Back home now with my only consolation being several loaves of Banana Nut loaf smuggled home in my carry on. Every morning with my coffee I have a little slice and pretend I'm back on the deck at Guavaberry enjoying my morning start with the birds and boulders.
Muhaha

Re: Trip report Virgin Gorda 4/23 - May 1st.

Post by Muhaha »

What a lovely trip report, and thank you for sharing. We are prepping now for our return to Anegada in 2 weeks and your report was a great excitement builder for us. We are considering a trip to VG later this year. Great report!
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy your trip - we've yet to visit Anegada.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thank you for sharing your trip report. I enjoyed reading it and remembering the nice trip we had to VG quite a few years ago. Its still on our list to return.

I love Queen Triggerfish - its great that you got to see one. They are such an unusual shape and such beautiful colors. We had fabulous snorkeling on VG.

We also stayed at Guavaberry in April when the night blooming cacti were in bloom. We also enjoyed going around with our flashlights and seeing the showy blossoms with the intense fragrant aromas.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thank you for the trip back to GSB and Virgin Gorda through your remarks! I am in total agreement with your thoughts on all the experiences we have had in common there. Hope we both can return soon! Great report!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Linward

Post by Linward »

Thank you for your great trip report. We too are STJ lovers, but are thinking about a combined STJ and Virgin Gorda trip - 1 week at each - next March. This would be our first trip to Virgin Gorda.

How healthy is the coral on Virgin Gorda? Seeing pretty coral is important to my hubby. Did you see any turtles? Seeing a trigger fish is on my snorkeling bucket list too.

Of interest, we went to Bonaire this March and, like you, stayed in a villa just off "Something Special". Ours was Villa Ganshi. When were you there, and where did you stay?

How do you think the snorkeling on Virgin Gorda compares to STJ and/or Bonaire?
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Hi Linward,
We were neighbors on Bonaire. We stayed right next door at Pelican Reef beach house. Loved the open air areas of Villa Ganshi.
You will not be disappointed in the snorkeling on Virgin Gorda there is a lot of healthy coral particularly brain and soft corals off Mahoe, mountain trunk and Long Bay with the double reef system. The other end is different near the Baths and Spring Bay - less coral but so cool to snorkel around and between the huge boulders still lots of fish.
We did see turtles off Spring Bay beach and at Long Bay. Not as much grass so not as numerous as on St. John. In some areas the reef looks healthier than St j and certainly less other flippers in the water ! It's really nice being able to find seclusion on the beaches which is getting harder and harder to do on St. John. I think a week at each would be ideal.
Linward

Post by Linward »

Hi Jersey Girl - Thank you for your reply.

We were on Bonaire the last 2 weeks of March this year. When were you there?

Thanks to you, now I'm really starting to get really excited about possibly vacationing 1 week STJ and 1 week VG!

Sadly, it's getting harder and harder to find islands with healthy coral :( . Do you have to swim very far out to get to the healthy coral on VG? What is the average depth of the water over the coral?
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Linward we were on Bonaire in September 2012. Villa Ganesh was not yet owned by Kees - I remember the couple that lived there were so friendly and helpful to us as 1st time visitors. We so envied their ability to just pop in the water for a swim from their back yard!
The snorkeling on the northern areas on Virgin Gorda is really easy access from the beach - you swim out past the first patch reef and you're there in a minute. The reef extends parallel to the shore and is not in deep water. I'm a poor estimater of measurement maybe 5 - 10 feet. Shallow enough to see clearly but not so shallow you can't swim above. The southern spots are just as easy access - sometimes a short hike to the beach- but the water can be deeper in spots around the boulders. Much easier than the trek past the insurgents at Lac Bay Bonaire !
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Oops - no more posting on Kindle. Make that Villa Ganshi and past the windsurfers at Lac Bay. I hope there are no insurgents in the water!
Linward

Post by Linward »

:lol: - ya just gotta love that correction mode :lol:

Thanks so much Jerseygirl. I SO appreciate you answering my multitude of questions.
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.